The MS150 Has Arrived

Cheers Butch, feel like I know you already from Arbtalk:)

Thanks for the pictures chap. Some folk here in the uk have just been drilling an 8mm hole in the side and it seems to improve them a fair bit. Did you have to richen it up?

Hey Randy.
First post here.
No drama. I like that.
Just reading a lot so far.
You do have plans to port this saw..........
You get the 090 parts??

The factory outlet.....

What we did was cut out the recessed area in the top picture, and raise the edge of the outlet in the bottom picture. I don't have any pics of that it seems. I recently had a computer take a dump, and lost a bunch of stuff. I hope this explanation helps.

BUMP!

Looking to mod the muffler on my MS 150....Randy, do you have any more pics you could put up on here on modding muffler or anyone else?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not......BUT.

In this pic you can see all the recessed area that has the hole in it? Take all of that area out.

stuffandall048_zpsbdfd0ab1.jpg

Then it this pic you can see that all we did was use a flat bar or screwdriver to pry the deflector up and out to open that area a little.

stuffandall046_zps9cbb8f26.jpg

Also, the ignition timing needs to be advanced. Are you handy enough with you tools for that? If so I'd be glad to talk you through it. :)

Ah, got it, that makes sense...yes, very handy with tools, but when I get into it I might PM you for fine tuning ;)

Thanks!!

When you advance the timing what you want to do is make the outside edge of the flywheel end up about 1/4" counter clockwise further around than it was. I use a small file to reduce the edge of the key that is cast into the flywheel. Then I use a small rope to stop the engine so I can hold the flywheel against it while I snug up the flywheel nut. Then I rotate the engine against the stop in the other direction to finish tightening it.

I hope that made sense.

Randy, how long would it take if I sent you one of my 150's for doing your mod?

We do stuff like that right away. Just send me an email and I'll give you a shipping date and address.

I guess there is little chance for flywheel slippage after reducing the key, or Randy would have mentioned it. It seems like some compound in there to help grab might be good. I know that toothpaste can get recommended for that, whether it really works or not.

I've not had any trouble with them slipping. I would recommend that the stub and flywheel be degreased before reassembly though.

Key is not for holding, just alignment. If it would slip it shaves of either way, no matter of how thick it is.
Usually what happens if flywheel is not degreased or not tight enough.

On some saws today this trick no work as they have a active/floating, not fixed timing curve.

I just got my 150 back from Randy! Wow!! It runs great! This fine little saw no longer needs a qualifier, like it's fine for small pruning, or great for little stuff. It is now just a great small saw! I have two of these so I was able to do a side-by-side cutting test. No comparison, really, none.

Can you tell I like it. :) Thanks, Randy!

David

We love ours.....and was able to do a before and after on it. I had a feeling you'd really like it. :)

Great David, sounds like I need to send mine in ;)

I would strongly recommend it. I was going to keep my second one stock so I could show people how big a difference there is, but now I'm thinking screw that and getting it tuned up also.

Back