The Movie/TV/New Releases Thread

That Henry Rollins one looks great!

That dude with the long curly black hair that Tony's fighting in the water fountain scenes?

His style of nonstop circular fluidity of motion rolly polly fighting has a name, and it's a badass form of fighting, one of my favorites.

Of course first time I ever saw it was in an old Bruce Lee flick!

It has a specific name, and it never holds still.

Jomo

Hwa Rang Do - Hwa Rang Do, teaches that in order to attain maximum human potential, one must attain a state of balance and maintain harmony with natural laws of the universe. The theory of Um-Yang states that in nature there is co-existence of polar dichotomies. For every one, there is an equal opposite. Hwa Rang Do, is a combination of UM {soft/circular movement} and YANG {hard/linear movement}, making it one of the most diversified and comprehensive martial arts to be found in the world. It's study integrates the spiritual, mental, and physical disciplines enabling its practitioners to realize their full potential in all areas of life. The techniques are derived in accord with the principles of Um-Yang. Three Elements of Um, the essence of Hwa Rang Do®, soft techniques: Yu - soft, fluid force of flowing water. The power of Yu is deceptive; relenting under force; it draws its attack into its own stream of power and re-directs it. Won - is movement in circular directions. Its power may be seen in the rock at the end of a sling, or the power developed from a spinning motion. Hwa - as the third element of Um, it represents unity and combination. Three Elements of Yang, the essence of Hwa Rang Do, hard techniques; Kang - is hard like steel or stone. Its power is illustrated in the form of a closed fist in a thrust punch or a straight front kick. Kak - means angles. Its form is found in the correct angle of the joint when applying breaking and throwing techniques or straight angular blocks. Kan - means maintaining proper distance. It is the opposite aspect of Hwa or combination and its form is found in understanding the distance between two opponents. Hwa Rang Do, teaches both the martial art (moo-sul) and healing art (in-sul). If one is able to injure or worse, then he/she should know how to heal as well, once again maintaining harmony through balance of opposites.

Jomo

Good martial art is simply a matter of applying sound body dynamics.
No reason to turn to a lot of mumbo jumbo.

That dude with the long curly black hair that Tony's fighting in the water fountain scenes?

His style of nonstop circular fluidity of motion rolly polly fighting has a name, and it's a badass form of fighting, one of my favorites.

Of course first time I ever saw it was in an old Bruce Lee flick!

It has a specific name, and it never holds still.

Jomo

Capoera from Brazil

Capoeira.
Very, very effective:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vn4al1d9Re4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Capoeira.
Very, very effective:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vn4al1d9Re4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a scene from Never Back Down. A fight movie. Often passed around the internet as "Marine destroys street fighter" as click bait

I wonder how many people click on youtube links these days, I sure don't. Embedded only.

That dude with the long curly black hair?

No, the grey haired guy from He'll Never Die.

henry-rollins-he-never-died-2015-billboard-embed.jpg

An iPad'll embed a vid no problem, but only if provided an embed code to c n p.

NPR provides them, but for some commercially puzzling reason, YouTube doesn't, or I'm too stupid to find where they've hidden it from my pad.

Jomo

That's a scene from Never Back Down. A fight movie. Often passed around the internet as "Marine destroys street fighter" as click bait

I know that.
I just used it to make a point.
Jomo, because you can find a video of somebody getting knocked out by a Brazilian dancer, because that somebody is not a good enough fighter to close up on the dancer, doesn't mean capoira is a fantastic martial art.
It is a dance style, mainly.

Just the fight scene choreography skills that Lee, Jaa and even Robert Conrad of TV show Wild Wild West fame display, doing their own stunt work n choreography?

Has a valid virtue worthy of respect IMO.

There's a logging classic early 70's movie titled Never Give An Inch, stars Henry Fonda n Paul Newman, an independent logging family getting muscled about by union loggers. Apparently Newman broke his leg/foot jumpin out of the bed of a crummy. Great movie with great loggers doing all the stunt work so's to keep the stars from hurtin themselves.

Killer barber chair sequence takes Fonda's arm off pinning him into the ground like a seed.

Jomo

I do belive you're talking about : " Sometimes a great notion" " Never give an inch" is Henry stamper's motto.

Great book, the movie was so-so.

Also, when it comes to martial arts., I think we are talking about different things.
I really couldn't care less about movie presentations of martial arts, it is all fake.
Bad movie representation has done more to bring martial arts down that anything else, except maybe the American way of hanging black belts with lots of gold stripes on everybody, deserving or not.

Yeah, but whether faked or real Stig?

It beat's the heck outta bombin each other to death.

Jomo

Yea, it was "Sometimes A Great Notion," a cool flick.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KvDpiUD3lJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul almost carried the saw proper like... wrong hand. The dogs could stab his thigh!

An iPad'll embed a vid no problem, but only if provided an embed code to c n p.

NPR provides them, but for some commercially puzzling reason, YouTube doesn't, or I'm too stupid to find where they've hidden it from my pad.

Jomo

It's only a minute long.

Have you tried this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TZSw4_2qunE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks Steve.

But a PC perspective of how to embed with an iPad, is totally different from an iPad perspective.

Can you embed YouTube vids here from an iPad?

Jomo

Yea, it was "Sometimes A Great Notion," a cool flick.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KvDpiUD3lJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Paul almost carried the saw proper like... wrong hand. The dogs could stab his thigh![/QUO

It was released as "Never give an inch" in Europe or some markets anyway.

A while back Willard posted some links about the making of this film.

Back