The Logging Thread

Well there will be a lot of satisfaction in getting your own wood. You just need a sawmill. Doesn't have to be fancy to make timbers. Like a small Woodmizer. I know others who have built their own timber frame homes from the trees on their land, milling the beams themselves. Beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have a Wood-Mizer LT40 Super with wireless remote, currently 1 24' bed extension with another in the future, a twin blade edger and an assortment of log movers. Check out brendonv's timber framing thread. I've got a lot of posts in there of some of the work I've done.

This is a welcome addition to this fine site.

Though I'm a one-man logging operation, I appreciate having a place I can go for new ideas, safety discussions, and pictures of the equipment others use. Thanks!

Joel

Joel, why don't you tell us something about your operation? We need more activity here. You aren't too far from my neck of the woods. Like only 10 hrs or so. What kind of wood are you dealing with? How has the oil boom affected your business? Are there any mills around there?
Thanks
Pat

Worlds gone mad. Actually this came up a while ago with Stig. It seems that so many empty containers go back to these countries that they have to fill them with something, no matter how daft it may seem. If I'm wrong let me know.

Old Irish...Pat,

A few years back my wife and I decided that we would start heating our home with wood. Like most things, the project evolved into something of a conglomeration. People around the area were looking for someone who could use some firewood, because they were taking down trees that had either died, or had become storm damaged. I continue to upgrade my equipment so that I can tackle some of these jobs. At first I was accumulating firewood for my own use........but I now have enough firewood handling capacity that I can begin selling it.

I don't have a lot to choose from as far as tree species go. The majority of my firewood is recovered from tree rows (shelterbelts) that were planted in the late 40s and early 50s as a way of preventing soil erosion due to the constant winds here in the northern great plains. It's now been 60 years since these tree rows were planted. A lot has changed in 60 years.....namely farming methods.

These tree rows once held back winter snows, providing moisture to the crops. However, with the switch to no-till farming methods, crop moisture is preserved simply by leaving the soil unturned. The previous year's crop residue traps plenty of moisture, and provides shade to the soil, preventing most of the evaporation that once took place. So these trees.....which still hold loads of snow each winter......have suddenly become a problem. The moisture these trees hold back now prevents the farmers from gaining access to their fields due to the muddy conditions, which never seem to end. The trees have to go.

I prefer to harvest the Green ash and the Elms. I don't much care for the Boxelder, Carragana, or Russian Olive, I have no use at all for the various pines.........but it's a situation where I can't be picky. If I want one tree, I have to take them all.

So.......to help make use of the stuff I won't burn in the furnace, my son-in-law purchased a sawmill. He's now making lumber for a few customers, and I'm making more firewood than I can possibly burn. Our business venture is growing....slowly.....but we operate on a very small scale. As we pick up additional customers, I'm sure we'll also pick up some larger expenses......er.. larger equipment.

This is a great group of people, but I often feel out of place here. I've just barely grown out of the 'hobby' stage as far as this firewood business goes. But, I'm never afraid of studying, learning, or attempting new approaches.

Joel

Well, don't feel out of place Joel; everyone here started somewhere and there are several on site now who are just stating up or still in the hobby/part time category.

welcome to the Treehouse!:D

Joel,
don't feel out of place. We don't really do the whole "who is farther along" scene here. If building a business is your goal, hit the business management threads like a mad man. We will all share our experiences and help you get ahead. This site has improved all of our livelihoods in one way or another. Dig in.

So true.

Interesting info on the evolution of farming methods for soil conservation, thanks!

Why is it daft to send logs to other countries? The people harvesting and selling the logs are getting paid, and not having their arms twisted about it, are they? Also, it's not like it's a new practice or anything.

75% of our locally cut hardwoods go to China. Its fantastic. Seeing our local hardwoods reach global markets is a good thing.

...except for the fact that once upon a time the logs were milled here, all that bunker fuel burned up by Chinese freighters seems a waste to me...

With all due respect, I think that you guys miss a major point. The logs wouldn't be going abroad to a large extent, if there was a market for them where they are being cut. No doubt to some extent there is, but aside from possibly questioning some nationalism leanings, can you blame people for seeking the best price that they can get? Wood is probably more valuable to the Chinese at this time. That some might get sent back in a more processed form does seem kind of dumb, but that is just part of the process via supply and demand and the fact that there are big boats that can navigate across the oceans quickly.

.....Jay, it is not about market as many boards wind up back here in homes...it is about labor and costs...Canadian and Chinese mills run three shifts while domestic mills are closed...where. are the jobs and paychecks...?...

The Chinese government forestry department released a report last year stating that China uses disposable wooden chopsticks to the tune of 20 million trees a year. Mind boggling.

No denying labor costs as a factor, but the market for wood is worldwide, that is a lot bigger than any one country's needs. If someone taps into that market, they have to have the supply. The Black Walnut in my shop grew in the US, but it was sold to Japan by some company in China, where the logs were milled.

Back