The Garden Thread

In an old 'Our gang' comedy, Buckwheat heard the word 'artichoke', and said. "Why y'all wanna choke Artie?" That is pretty funny when you are six or seven and watching it in black and white.

Man I'm bummed, my squash has a fungus among us. Probably shouldn't have watered at night. I see it says to try and spray with milk or baking soda for an organic treatment. Anyone ever try that for mildew? Everything was going so well. :cry:

Squash is so heavy in some varieties you can't do much with them .Other vine growing veggies like cucumbers can be grown on a trellus which keeps them off the ground and helps .

Cantalopes can be prone to types of fungi and be a real challange to grow as a result . The warm moist soil kind of gives them like "atheletes foot " for want of a better description .Any viney veggie needs a lot of water but they also have to be able to drain that water .Sandy soil works best but is not always available depending on the area ..

I made zucchini and summer squash stuffed with sausage stuffing last night... It was deeeeeeelish. I have a mind to make a rum sauce for it next time.
One thing about squash.. you will get a lot of it usually. Couple of Hubbard plants are doing nicely.
The critters out back are eating the surplus :D

Once they start coming on you have to stay on them .They can go from tiny to too far gone in about two days . Once a zuccini gets over ripe the only thing you can do is make bread out of it or feed it to a goat . I think a goat is the only thing tough enough to eat the seeds which are like razor blades by then .

Chickens like em too. We also have been shredding a lot and freezing it. Then we can make zucchini bread and quiche when it is out of season. We tried to dehydrate some last year in the food dryer and that did not work out so well.
Tomatoes will also go to the freezer when we have surplus. Skin comes right off them after freezing and then we make sauce of them :)

Well, my garden is coming along fine:/:

Attachments

• securedownloadh.jpg
    securedownloadh.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 38
  • securedownloade.jpg
    securedownloade.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 38
  • securedownloadf.jpg
    securedownloadf.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 38
  • securedownloadg.jpg
    securedownloadg.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 38
With 300 mm of rain this summer much of our garden is washed out.

It's my F-i-L's. Theres over 700 tomato plants too.... Not to mention bell peppers, jalapenos, beans, sweet meats, strawberries, lettuce etc

My garden is really pumping great vegetables, and i must have the tallest green pepper plant in the country! Loaded with peppers too. We've been enjoying real nice tomatoes. Aerated compost tea is the secret, the plants go ape over that stuff, both sprayed and ground watered. I've really looked into it, and there are a number of good things that come from that method of fertilization. I believe it can make up for what otherwise might be soil nutritional deficiencies. Easy peasy to make if you have some good active compost. Two days to brew.

That corn sure has had a growth spurt since I was there, Willie.
It was weird coming home to my Scandinavian home and seeing taller corn than in Oregon.

Vegetable garden about 1 acre in size, no corn this year.

An acre? What do you do with the extra veggies?

You too Willie what does your FIL do with all that?

We've got a nice garden this year at the new place. I'm looking to be up to my arse in 'maters soon. Gonna make our own salsa!

An acre? What do you do with the extra veggies?

We have 3 other families in on it that helped plant and weed it, any extra veggies go to other family members who want them. This year is a bust though, don't think that there is gonna be much of anything unless we get some heat, been a cool summer with a tonne of rain.

Ha ha ha. Oh sorry I know you Albertans get a little sore when us over in godsland brag about our weather. Had to knock off early today because it was..............wait for it............wait for it........TOO HOT!!!!

The heat is killer right now, but our spring wasn't very warm.

Lots of different diseases and such, insects, and the weather, but a healthy looking garden is a pretty thing. I never realized that it takes so much time to keep it tidy and old yellowing leaves removed, feeding, etc., and mine is just a small patch. Some borer got into a main shoot of a tomato vine and I lost everything off that stem. There was a whole slew of developing tomatoes above just gone to waste. Some white larvae thing that I stomped on. :D Trying to grow organically has it's disappointments.

For some reason my red potatoes petered out really early this year. Production way down, too...at least in the one partial row I've dug recently. We sure got a late start on most everything but the 'taters, but looking great now, beans, peas, basil, parsley. The blueberries are not bearing a great crop, but not a washout either, like some peoples around here.

my garden is so so this year, poor weather and my lack of attention/interest have been the culprits. Blueberries had poor pollination too, cool weather and lack of bee activity at flowering time I think. Will be pullin the first of the spuds out of pots very soon, they are flowered out and starting to wilt.

Back