The Boxing Thread

r0ck1r0ck2

TreeHouser
Nothing i like more than watching people try and cave heads in.

Starting at the beginning

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AO5S8Qtsf-c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

starting in 1882!!!
how cool

jack dempsey blows my mind

i'm always up to discover new great fights so please..
post your favorites.

Roberto Duran's one of my favorites. Here's one of his fights, with interesting analysis

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d5BpvDOn08c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jake LaMotta and Sugar Ray Robinson fought six times.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GH091h4_z8o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My all time fave has got to be when Buster Douglas knocked out Mike Tyson. I love it when the underdog comes through. I'd post the vid but my computer's whacked

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tasCLcSslj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I will never forget the rumble in the jungle, we were big Ali fans in our house, we knew nothing about boxing (still don't!)
I can still see my Mum covering her eyes at the apparent beating Ali was taking and shouting at my father "Jimmy, make it stop!"
Watched the fight in its entirety recently, with commentary by Harry Carpenter, I realise now that Harry knew what was occurring.
As Irish immigrants to the UK my parents (and us kids) loved an underdog and an outsider.

I LOVE watching great defensive fighters: Roy Jones, Pernell Whitacker, Floyd.

We are very lucky in Montreal, we have the best boxing scene in North America, outside of Vegas. Lots of good local and international fights going on in the past years.

This is almost comical....listen to the tone of the commentary before the end.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W7oXBqKUyxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Friggen white guy knocked into next week, laying on the canvas, and they say Mike looked awful! Lol

Damn, watching a bunch of Iron Mike highlights is FUN

There was a show on tv I used to watch when I was a kid, The Greatest Fights of the Century and I still remember Tony Galento, he was one tough guy.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Galento

There's no video of his fight with Lou Nova only the radio broadcast but it was the brawl of the century.

Before his fight with Max Baer his brother hit him in the mouth with a glass that's why he bled so much. Crazy guy, never washed for days before a fight so he stank and trained on beer, cigars and heaps of food. Knocked down Joe Louis which wasn't easy to do, but he paid for that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/frHiwiUUnxc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In his prime, Foreman's left jab was really something. The rumble in the jungle vid in the beginning shows him hitting the heavy bag with that punch, and the loud cracks it makes. Some awesome power and speed. Tyson had power in his jab, but it seemed like George could really snap it out. Vids of Tyson and Foreman hitting the bag.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t4WnPp754Uc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZZtZlTIglDU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In contrast, Pacquiao hitting the heavy bag. I like Manny, he grew up fighting on the street to put food on the table, and has an awesome training regimen before a fight. Like how he carries himself too. The guy obviously knows how to fight, and use the angles. Him against Floyd, though, I wonder... Not sure who has been ducking who, but Floyd has got something unique at 43-0.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i7dB_4yXPv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think Manny has fought tougher fights, compared to Floyd: three wars with Morales, JMM four times, younger De la Hoya, younger Cotto. This will probably be apparent if ever they do fight. Had they gone at it 5-6 years ago, it would have been a different story.

Most likely because if you don't know something about grappling, it is boring as hll.

Boxing is much more unidimensional, it remains the sweet science. To me that is why youngers generations find it boring, it's more subtle and harder to grasp.

Well said, matdand.

Jim, they say boxing is however more dangerous due to the greater prolonged beatings boxers can be subjected to, vs the quicker stoppages in mma as soon as a fighter can't defend himself, or he taps.

I always find it interesting to hear the comments by losers in a fight that much respect their opponents. Though they likely trained hard for the bout, they still lost, their opponents mastery of certain things can really inform about the nuances of the sport. Some fighters have great defense, like is said about Mayweather, along with him being the greatest lightweight of all time. The same was once said about Pacquiao, sometimes still is, who was known for destroying opponents in the ring with his speed and agility.

Back