t540 xp

Its 2014. We do heart surgery through a tube and a tv screen, alter thought processes with pills, make bullets hit 10" groups at 1000 yards out of hunting rifles, saw max lumber from a log with a computer, but cant make a good climbing saw.......

Like I told the guy at Treestuff, in 5-10 years we will love the efficiency, power, and reliability. Until then we suffer.

A bolt on, manual replacement carb for the 540 would be a big seller.

Love my 540, it's always a toss up which comes out of the van 540 or (new, non crap 201)
Only problem is the rear av spring which went west rather too easily. I just whipped it out, bent it back in the vice a bit, then put it back.

Think I've figured the problem(s) out.

I disconnected the tank vent from the air filter base plate to alleviate a kink in the line.

I read about a brass nipple backing out of the cylinder on saws made in a 3 week span in April. I checked mine and the nipple was fine, but the hose had hopped off the nipple. I put it back on and it ran properly, cutting great. I nibbled cookies off a 3" limb and it died in the cut. Sure enough the hose had popped off the nipple again. Turns out the hose's bell end is as loose as.... well you get the idea.

Here's the fix, apparently these saws should be sold with a loaf of bread. I rotated the twisted tail out of the way for a better view, but it was twisted with the tails pointing towards the camera.
IMG_9506.jpg

That's not the vent, that's the impulse if I were to guess. The vent is on the other side of the carb and was plugged into the air filter base.

Here is tank vent. On tank in rear of saw.
Nr 7 is the vent inserted in tank, nr 89 is the rest of it.

T540.jpg

You were lucky. Not many saws run without damaging something when impuls line is acting up.

Yep, that's the vent. Mine doesn't appear to be a formed line and had a kink or nearly so on its second bend.

It's ridiculous how loose the line in the above picture was on its barb.

TreeStuff is the dealer, no local dealer. On my last cut of my second tree today, the damn thing came back off. I pulled the line out... turns out the bell end is split.

I called TreeStuff, they didn't have any in stock. They pulled one off a saw on the shelf and overnighted it to me.

Service!

Down side of internet dealing is that internet is not good on service or warranty work.
This would have cost you nothing at a dealer. And HVA would find out there is a issue to correct if they didn't know..
This with impulse line is serious problem that can lead to saw running lean and cook.

This is interesting, there are other stories floating around where autotune saws will richen themselves up in the event of an air leak. Sometimes to the point of flooding out the saw.
Obviously a kinked vent hose means not enough fuel to the carby to achieve that.
Wonder how long the impulse was dodgy, and if the saw had been compensating for that at all?

I've got a feeling that thing will need a good burying in some wood to sort out it's tune when you get it sorted. I'm curious to hear how it runs, and how long till it runs right.
I've never needed a factory reset on my 562, but I should probably buy the gear so I can when needed.

The closest dealer is 45 minutes away... I called them and the mouth breather that answered the phone couldn't be of any help because he couldn't find any version of a T540XP in his computer. I paid $30 for Treestuff to pull and overnight a hose.

That damn impulse line has cost me 4-5 hours of down in the previous two days. It turned a 2 day, $3700 job into at least a three day job. When Treestuff didn't have the hose in stock, my first thought was to get another saw overnighted.

The saw ran perfectly until the hose popped off again. It died in the cut, I checked and sure enough the hose was off. I expect it to run well after the new line is installed.

I am confused.
The first time it was impulse line as you posted pic of, then tank vent?
It was tank vent hose you ordered, nr 10 in the pic?

If so I think there is a chance we will need to address this additionally..

Probably a spare saw in the future, there's a limit to how much I want to pile in the truck. If I had to, I could climb with a rear handled saw or borrow one of Scott's top handled saws. My next truck will be a long bed crew cab to help with the room. With the long bed I can have a fuel tank and a tool box in front of the gooseneck hitch. With the tool box I can move the 4 tool boxes and 3 tool cases out of the back seat and have some room! At this point I carry the climbing saw and wraptor in the back seat with the climbing/rigging gear. Might be ordering the truck in the next month, but daymn they're expensive. ($60k+)

For the last several years, Scott (treesmith) has done all my climbing. I've only had 1 saw at a time for most of that time with it never letting me down. Two 660s and a 362, have a 540, 362, and 660 now. Scott's coming today to make sure I get this job wrapped today because tomorrow we start another 14 tree removal job. Only a couple require climbing I think.

I ordered an impulse line. I just disconnected the tank vent from the air filter's base to alleviate the kink/near kink.

The position of tank vent hose is pretty important for its function.
Too low it will fill with gas and fluids no work same as gas when pressures are to be regulated.

Just picked one up yesterday and ran it hard today seems to be alright, a little boggy if you leave it sit for a bit and then try to fire it up then it clears it self up and runs strong, but only time will tell.

Cheers
Ben

Back