Summer Limb Drop

• Thread starter klimbinfool
  • Start date
  • Replies 81
  • Views 10K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A large tree can transpire hundreds of gallons a day being the temp is right.When we used to do injection for Elm Leave Beatle, we would stop after the temp raised above 85 to 87 deg. Trees tend to stop transpiration after that, which in essence, Frans's theory is correct.

The rapid drying out fractures the wood structure and therefore something has to give depending on were the defect in the limb is or not in some cases.If you really inspect the limb that blew off the tree, it's reletivly dry but the trunk wood will be pooring out water or at the lower bases of the larger limb wood.

My theory is that the tree rapidly cuts off water supply to a limb because for the tree to keep the limb viable, the tree needs something back from the limb.
When the limb is taking more resources than it is giving back, the tree cuts off the water supply

The limb, through compression and reaction wood build up, just 'pops' off because of the sudden weight change with the sudden loss of water weight. Think of how easily a redwood branch will snap off IF you pull it UP.
IMO.

This is what I have heard also. The Ag Commission here did an article not too long ago in the paper warning people of the limb drops. Not getting into too many details they claimed it was from the tree cutting the water or reserving the water when it is real hot and dry. Especially so during and after drought years. I kind of think of it in my head as the "sacrificial limb".
They warned in the article to not park cars under the oaks right now and that if you have one over your house.... Might want to have it seen to and looked at. Our white oaks and valley oaks are usually the most noteworthy for limb dropping. But you definitely see it in the other oak species here as well.

I never do Frans. Your words of wisom are gold.;)

Never tell him that!:D The live oaks do it here also but this summer has been fairly mild so far. I remember the willow trees down at the riverbottom would actually drip water on a hot afternoon.

White oak ,red oak .
Round here they were poopping like pop corn last week.I hate it because it always leaves such a nasty scar and then im left with the long task of explaining theories as to why it happens.Everbody seem to like this one , Its hydrostatic.

Just tell hem thats the natural characteristic of that tree...than ye a job cutting the tree down to.....lol

What surprises me is how rare this phenomenon is here in central Florida, considering how hot it is compared to most of the country. I guess our trees are more acclimated to the heat? And perhaps since our soil is so sandy, water can move more quickly and easily through it.

Most of our 'limb drop' occurs during thunderstorms.

Skwerl, your right. Aclimation and no drastic temperature decrease and increase.

Yeppers, has alot to o with it.

I wish I had got pics of one Greg from last year. Valley Oak... Had just cut the weeds under it not a week before and went back to extend the clients fire line.. Was like a small tree had hit the ground. 12" limb. Landed right into our cut area.. I felt very lucky we had not been there.

I know what you mean. worked for the city of Chico for 14 years ( street Trees) and it just amazed me in that time frame I never saw anyone get killed or seriously injured.Saw lots of damaged cars and building though. Very prevelent in Valley Oaks,sweet Gum and Sycamores, at least up here. I would get a call out alomost every evening and night this time of year.

Yes I do but I live at 2700' in Magalia

3200 feet here in Mariposa... But I have lived in many places in CA and US ;)
Wish I had taken more time with you at the GTG Greg.... Sorry for any neglect to that on my part.

There will be others and it's always that way at funtions like those. I'm terrible about getting around to meeting everyone.MOst of them seem to know me somehow, but I dont know them.

To me it just seemed you were so into the safety aspect of the climb that another time would have proven a better one... ;)
I forgot to ask if you have a Calvin that might be a relative up here...

Greg, most of us know you (or know of you) through videos posted by Jerry and Frans. It probably seemed weird having so many strangers calling you by name and acting like you were an old friend. Somewhat of a 'Twilight Zone' aspect, I suppose.
:)

The term 'sudden limb drop' is very specific to one certain phenomenon. I does NOT mean any old limb that just happened to fall off the tree.

I have been noticing more and more the term sudden oak death used in all kinds of ways to justify tree removals. Especially by Davey tree.

Back