Stupid and Lucky

There are no old, bold tree climbers... at least not super bold anyway.

We all do stoopid chit sometimes; the lucky ones live to tell about it. Glad it worked out for you.

I will always remember one particular tree that I turned down because it was too rotten. I drove by about a week later and saw it laying across the roof, completely shattered. Had I taken the job, that would have been me laying shattered across the roof. On the other hand, I've also had 1 tree come apart with me in it because I needed the money more than I feared death. I was tied to another live tree 30 ft away, and took a nice long pendulum swing into a nice pointy stub. I remember watching the sparkles in my vision and wondering if it would have been better to just hit the ground.

Weird, I just finished looking at a super sketchy red maple. 70% of the roots sound hollow. No way I'm climbing it, no way to fall the whole enchilada... I'm calling my bucket guy.

Weird, I just finished looking at a super sketchy red maple. 70% of the roots sound hollow. No way I'm climbing it

What could go wrong? Red maple with root issues...would lightning strike twice? Would the Blinkster strike (the ground) twice? :\:

MAybe you could rig it to a nearby tree! :|:

What could go wrong? Red maple with root issues...would lightning strike twice? Would the Blinkster strike (the ground) twice? :\:

MAybe you could rig it to a nearby tree! :|:

Yeah, what am I thinking? I must be getting paranoid in my advancing age.

No trees of sufficient height to rig to. It's leaning toward a single phase primary to boot.

Posts of big take downs are easy to share, when you dont do something so great it is a lot harder to post.

Thanks for posting and glad everything ended with just a lesson learned and a reallity check. Should act as a reminder to the rest of us to think (I like the think twice cut once quote).

No trees of sufficient height to rig to. It's leaning toward a single phase primary to boot.
Call yur guy PRay at Duke power then, so they can do it! Schedule it for a time the owner is away, and tell her you are getting a sub but she can pay you! :big-money:

Sensei strikes again! :indian:

That'll be 20% if you please; consultant's commission. :big-rolling:

Plan B: Stepladder and Hayauchi. :P

Just happy you walked from it Darin...
I will make a trip home or reschedule if I don't have what I need to do the tree safely.
We all need to listen to the inner voice sometimes...

Back