Stumping near inground Electrical box?

Here I would call 811 to get it marked. Unless the line ran under the tree, I'd grind it like normal.

In our area make sure they locate everything, I mean everything, hydro, gas, phone cable and sewer. Make sure they ALL are located and marked, nothing left out. Sometimes phone lines are only 3 inches buried and run through the strangest areas. I've seen sewer lines not even 10 inches down, even in our climate. IMHO everything should be located. No surprises, no claims.

Don't know if its been said yet or not but what ever you do don't hit the electrical line with the machine!:/:
Just kidding with ya!
Let us know how you make out.good luck and stay safe!

Last town I lived at had all new fiber optic lines buried on every street. Hap hazard installation some near ground level. The horizontal drill even putting lines under trees and bushes. That really changed my grinding plan of attack.

Worst situation I ground stumps was when I ground out a cluster of willow stumps half ways under a half full 2000 gallon propane tank.
Cutter wheel was inches from the tank, one kick back and it would have been game over.
I guess 11 years of running that machine by myself gave me the skill and confidence to do it.:D

Yeah make sure you check with the utility but I'd also ask them for any restrictions on procedures or limitations that may be in the code. They may know more than you think.

Erik
www.pro-cuttreeservice.com

Sometimes you just gotta go for it
5cb6899e9e68786b858b2b0e79f317a0.jpg

That pic is unbelievable! I'd be keen to use it as an illustration when trying to explain the risks to clients. I usually mention buried services at bids and one thing that I've learned is that a prospective clients reaction to the topic being raised is a great indicator of the type of client they are- some of them want to shut the topic right down etc or ask you to "grind it carefully" or suggest you just claim it on insurance- No thanks. As far as bidding strategies go its probably easier and saves time to leave the fine details until a bid is accepted. It only becomes an issue here in Oz as service location is performed by a contractor so obviously if you operate with care its gonna cost approx $200 extra...

Usually I just go below grade on those if the client is ok. If they need it all the way out the price goes up and we will pot hole one or both sides with a shovel to see how deep the utility is

Back