Stress at work

treehawk1996

TreeHouser
How do you all deal with stress or screw ups at work? I take screwing up hard because I could kill or hurt someone by my screw up. I work with my brother, dad and one employee. I'm scared I'm going to kill or hurt them one day by my screw up. Sometimes I've just been close to just stop doing tree work because of that.

It comes with the territory. Treework is the full meal deal. Mind and body. There's no way around it imo, gotta run things tight. Clear communication and expectations of what everyone is supposed to be doing and where they are supposed to be or not be.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

Welcome to the Treehouse!

Justin

How long have you been doing treework? And what as, climber or groundie?

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Treehawk.

You sound unsure of yourself and your abilities. How long have you been in the game?

I don't deal with stress well so have to find ways to deal with it. One thing I realized is I cannot work 5 days straight as I get too tired and with fatigue comes mistakes, mistakes can be bad. I was to the point earlier this year of being ready to quit tree work but couldn't figure out what else could pay the bills. I have this turned around now and am actually enjoying tree work again, all it takes is an attitude adjustment. I thrive on trying out new gear and have been enjoying using some Sena communications systems, reduces stress by not having to shout stuff all day and increases the fun factor as you can actually joke around with the guys. Historically I have always pushed really hard at work to "Get er done" but am trying to get away from that mentality and just do what we can do without busting balls. I am very picky about who works for me, if I feel somebody doesn't pay attention or understand the risks involved they have no place on my job site, I definitely cannot afford accidents. You are going to spend a huge percentage of your life working so find something you like to do and focus on that....

One thing I do regularly is point out hazards so everybody is AWARE. When roping a big piece out I will say" If the top were to break out you don't want to be standing there or you will DIE" I know my guys probably get tired of hearing all the ways that they could get messed up but I think it is good to keep an awareness of the consequences .
Hope this helps

Wow, it's like my brain has an echo in here. This is why I love this place. The thread has been posted less than an hour and already there's two different replies that sound like they came straight out of my brain. So many people out there just don't understand, but Treehousers are right there with me. This place rocks! :rockon:

BTW, welcome to the real deal, treehawk.

How to deal with stress?..... Hmmmm. Good question. I don't drink at this point in life, so that's out. I don't smoke weed, so that's out. But does sound appealing now and again. But no, that's out. I guess I don't deal with my stress. I just suck it up and keep going. I have yet to find something that works. It's made me tougher, and to be honest, even made me a little weaker. As time goes by in this line of work, I find myself just becoming used to the stress and anxiety, and just pushing on like normal as opposed to trying to deal with it. I'm not saying my mentallity is correct. I'm just saying I haven't found the answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been doing it all my life, I'm 15 and love it, I'm sure you all know my brother. I think most of it is due to fatigue, and thanks for the help,

Also I'm just a groundie, I climb ever now and then. I just like doing ground work more

MB you for sure know how a ground can kill ya. TreeHawk, at 15 you shouldn't be sweating it, its somebody else place to be watching out for you, have a good time and enjoy it. If it does stress you out find something else to do.

Yea, I'm finding that out. Just can't wait until I finish high school so I can work full time. Going to be the company mechanic/groundie. It's amazing how a machine and a good crew can speed up work.

Having all the equipment working perfectly due to a good mechanic on staff is a GIGANTIC stress reducer right there.

Take your time and don't rush, if you feel unsure err on the side of caution and ask advice. Every day I learn something new and Ive been doing this 25+ years , realize you don't know everything and act accordingly, but like I said before if it gives you stress at your age maybe you should look to find something else. Just because your family does tree work doesn't been you have to. I doubt my son Woody will do trees, he is WAY to cautious by nature, my daughter Whylie will love it though me thinks......

Yea, if I don't do tree work I'm going to do something with heavy equipment. I love operating equipment and working on it, I just find it more interesting. I think I'm going to stay in tree work though, I want to help expand the family business and help it grow

Been doing it all my life, I'm 15 and love it, I'm sure you all know my brother. I think most of it is due to fatigue, and thanks for the help,

Also I'm just a groundie, I climb ever now and then. I just like doing ground work more

Ok I'll bite. Who is your brother?

Well then do not worry about a thing! From what I see, your brother has it together. Watch and learn. Welcome!

That he does, he is the best guy on the crew, I'm told I'm the second best, my dad says he's going to miss me working with them, having me working sped up production, but now with the machine they should be just fine

Every hand helps. Although I must say since I bought the Boxer I don't need as many hands.
Ride it out at school. The more you learn the better you become, at anything.

Yea, I'm going to this school this year for half a day called locust trace, and I'm doing a program called ag power and mechanics, so I'll be learning small and large engine mechanics

Back