storm damaged maple

Wouldn't stand for long in my yard. The third pic tells the tale for me...long tight V with included bark leading into the cavity. No way.

Who is the idiot who trimmed it last? And what idiot thinks that stripping off every green leaf up to 40'+ is somehow supposed to improve the tree in some manner? I'm sorry, that would include almost everybody. :roll:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The leader that failed was closest to the porch of the building (plus or minus 40 feet) , the prevailing winds blow toward the historic building and the (now) missing leader was all that stood between the tree blowing over in the next storm and the building. It scares me just thinking about it. The owner has been informed that it is now, officially, a hazard tree and needs to be removed ASAP. Also, that his insurance may not pay up if the tree fails between the time it was declared a hazard and the time it's to be removed if he delays the removal. Last I heard, he wants to try and get the power company to take it down since it's close to their ROW. Oh well, I've done what I could.

Sounds like he's pretty tight with a dollar.
AND WHO ISN'T? Always ask the utility first--why not?

But skwerl you hit the nail on the head noting the lower limbs stripped aka Raising Cain with that tree. "Arborists" overpruning made removal down to the fork at least as the only reasonable option. Otherwise it could have been maintained at a higher level. No reason to remove the cavity if it is habitat--the trunk could be guyed back to protect the road and wires. Vines could be trained up the guys, and a shrub/perennial bed in between. LoL could make it purdy!

Or kill the maple and replace with short trees under the wires and big trees further back. o and a shrub/perennial bed in between.

Plenty of room--Nothin historic about a dam lawn

Many times the pre-inspector for the Power Co, tries to push for removals.
Remove it and never have to trim that tree again.
We had bonus incentives depending on our ratio of removals vs. trims.
Sometimes we would offer things like "make safes", wreck it to just below the high lines.

Clearance not Appearance. Clean and Clear.

We had bonus incentives depending on our ratio of removals vs. trims.
Sometimes we would offer things like "make safes", wreck it to just below the high lines.

Clearance not Appearance. Clean and Clear.

Same with utilities on the right coast i worked for, Deva. but the irony here is, the giraffe pruning/raising done so far (not by the utility i assume) increases the hazard to the wires., and cut out pun intended many options for reasonable reduction.

LoL does that look like a codom tearout wound to you? How'd it get so rotten, with such poor tree response, when the rest of the tree system looks to be enjoying high vitality?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I suspect that this was originally 3 trees that grew together and that (as they grew larger) they enclosed an opening that became smaller and smaller but was still large enough to allow water and road dust in - contributing to internal rot and freezing & thawing stresses.

I've driven by the tree dozens of times and never noticed anything out of the ordinary before the failure. The limb was not growing at an un-nerving angle or anything like that.

Don't even get me started about the white pine on the other side of the front yard and even closer to the building.

Back