Stihl 880 mods

We definitely tend towards the thick bark here. The big double dogs are all I run, wraps too. I've run wraps so long now that I find a 1/2 wrap dangerous to use because when I turn the power head and reach for the handle that isn't there you are dangerously close to the action end of the saw.

The big poplar definitely need big double dogs.

I find the 372 / 441 perfect, as it's big enough to cope, but light enough to pack all day.

460 is history now.

Modded 441 rips, it's very smooth and low vibes. Had mine 7 years now, first brand spanking new saw I ever bought when I set up on my own.

I put 066 dogs on my 036PRO. One of them stuck out about 1/4" further than the other, but they still worked great. I bet they would fit on the later generations of that saw. I log with my 395XP. I've used a 372 before, and while it is a really great saw, I like the power of the 395. I run an 8 pin sprocket and 24" bar most of the time.

Justin Stihl has nice fat dogs for the 361 series. I use the smallest saw possible. Hopefully the 562 will be my new fav. Otherwise mostly 460s for resi tree work.

The amount and size of trees I log kill me carrying a 460 all day. Firewood, not saw logs remember.

I bought my 394 before I had the 036. I was teased by my Stihl dealer for cutting firewood with such a big saw. They suggested the 036. I bought one and used it for an hour on a brush job. I went back to the 394. I liked just blipping the throttle and tapping a 4" sapling and having it fall over. Too impatient to wait on the 036.:lol: I did do a small pine logging job in '08 with the 036. Nothing over about 20". Worked better than I thought it would using square chisel chain.

Justin Stihl has nice fat dogs for the 361 series. I use the smallest saw possible. Hopefully the 562 will be my new fav. Otherwise mostly 460s for resi tree work.

The amount and size of trees I log kill me carrying a 460 all day. Firewood, not saw logs remember.

I'd love a part number or pic of that. Because I already have Stihls 'big dog' kit on mine that comes with the wrap handle and the bottom dog curves up at a crap angle.

I know the 460 is done, I've got a 461 and it's been a great saw so far but I honestly don't know if the weight increased with the few small changes or not is why I didn't mention it.

Northern Logger did a study years ago about logging hardwoods with a 70cc class saw vs a 90cc class saw to figure out which one was a better producer. 70cc class saws won because of reduced user fatigue. I can handcut ad top woods trees more efficiently myself with a 372 over a 390. The 390 is faster in the stump, but the speed is lost when trimming and topping because the lighter saw is more nimble in my hands. Also spent time logging with a 441 and also a 660. Same result. Less fatigue at the days end. less fatigue for me means equal producton after lunch as before lunch.

I tend to use the 660 if I'm just falling trees and leaving for processing later, if I'm doing the whole job there and then it tends to be the 441.

If I'm clearcutting big trees, I'll use both. 660 for felling and bucking the log off then switch to the 441 for the rest.
Has the added benefit of leaving me with an 18" bar for futzing around with all the smaller wood. We buck till 6 inches here, because of the huge firewood market.
Anything I can kill with a 441 ( That means up to about 40") I'll use only that, for the reason Chris stated.

Speed with safety. I like the two saw approach as well. A nasty cut in my chaps reminds of the tendency to drag a larger saw a little when limbing at the end of the day. It varies from day to day, but around 3:30 is sometimes entering the danger zone. Besides, I wanna go home to mama.

Back