Stihl 041 farmboss Carb problem

Dh1984

TreeHouser
i just bought a carb and some other parts (to get my new to me 041 farmboss stihl going again) from a fellow on Arborist site beofore Gary Banned me again LOL. i'm not winning or anything about his call its his job on that site to do.but any who the carb has been rebuilt and cleaned.but one problem i got is when i start it and try to retune it like he told me too.it don't do nothing but over load even when both screws all the way in. and it never does get full throttle.but it will set and idle for about 10 to 12 seconds i guess and then choke out.i knew how to post a video on here i would get a video of it.but it will spit mix out the top of the carb and out the muffler. i'm about to the end of my ropes with this thing. i'm about to take it to the stihl dealer tomarrow and see what he can do.But i wanted to come on here first and see if anyone knew what i can do to get it going like it should.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
can someone tell me what the metering valve lever sets on so i can see if thats what is wrong with it please?

and i think i might have figured it out if if someone could tell me if i'm right. if the books says to set the points on.016 and you don't and set them on .015 would that cause it to not get max Wide Open Throttle

never mind gentalmen i'm takeing it to the dealer and hope fully he will get it figured out. i'm tired of messing with it i was ready to trow it away and face the loses i have in it.but hope fully my dealer will get it going.

I played wit one of these nasty things ONCE! I learned my lesson that ONE time!

What's wrong with the 041? I have never used one before but I would have assumed that they are good saws. The only reason that I am even asking is because my neighbor has one that seems to work great. Not to mention he may be hanging up the power tools soon and I might be getting a steal on it because I have been keeping him in wood to heat with.

1 thousandth on a inch on the points won't make any difference in how the thing runs .

The fuel shut off sets exactly dead even with the carb body .Set too high it will flood .Too low it won't get a full diaphragm full of fuel .

Just because somebody said a carb has been rebuilt means exactly nothing .If a new innards were not installed and done so correctly it's about like spinning your wheels .Just plain won't work right .

Get on Tillotsons web site and look up a Tilley Hs carb .They'll tell you all about it .I could spend a month of Sundays trying to explain it but it's doubtfull I'd make any headway .

What's wrong with the 041? I have never used one before but I would have assumed that they are good saws. The only reason that I am even asking is because my neighbor has one that seems to work great. Not to mention he may be hanging up the power tools soon and I might be getting a steal on it because I have been keeping him in wood to heat with.

They were a workhorse of a saw in their day. We had a non anti-vibe one, I couldn't stand to run it, the vibration would mess my hands up in short order.
Parts are getting hard to get now also....

Ed

They were a GREAT saw, but a bitch and half to work on! A buddy called me wanting me to pick one up from a Craigslist add for him and he'd come pick it up from me. Wanted me to pull the muffler off to look at the piston for him. I spent 45min trying to get it apart, finally just pulled the carb, which wasn't that easy either, then had to put the damn thing back together!
It's a true horizontal engine, just a bear to get apart and back together!

What I find odd about them is the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the cylinder with a cross over the top exhaust system .

Horizontal cylinder it would crank the torque but with that type porting it wouldn't be a speed demon .--Then again you have to remember when it was made .

What I find odd about them is the intake and exhaust are on the same side of the cylinder with a cross over the top exhaust system .

Horizontal cylinder it would crank the torque but with that type porting it wouldn't be a speed demon .--Then again you have to remember when it was made .

yeah tell me about it.

Well here's a update on My stihl 041 farmboss. I got to working on it again and i think i figured out what i done wrong when i was setting the points. well i went out to my shop to reset them and make sure they was right on .016 and they was on .015 well i made sure they set right on .016 and then i found out what i have done when i cleaned them. i wasn't looking pastt he points to the base and i didn't know that base moves when you loosin the screw.well to make a long story short i made sure i put the screw dead center on the base of the points and then went in out there and gave it a good crank and SHE FIRE RIGHT OFF and ran good. i then retuned it and now it will hit the first pull of the rope. but now i have to find me a new clutch and air filter for it and she will be cutting wood once again.

So thanks everyone for trying to help me i sure do appericate it.if it quits raining i'll get a video of it running again.

Oh that thing was flopping around going out of time .I can assure you 1 thousanth of an inch off of a points setting will not cause the thing not to start .If it did you've got the thing right on the edge of picking up the magnet induction of the flywheel magnets passing the coil stator pieces .

It's kind of backwards .Setting the points closer will cause the coil to fire later .Wider moves it forward in rotation but either has to be in the small window of rotational degrees . That old saw should most likely fire between 26 and 28 or so degrees ahead of top dead center .I could look it up but that's close enough

WOW.

If you manged to rub Gary the wrong way, I think I am very thankful I don't read it!
I would need a pretty good hammer to hurt Gary's toes.
It is not one of the smallest or most tendered toes!

If I could... I'd ban you from here too... but that's not my call.

Gary

why i haven't done anything other here to be banned. i'm trying to show everyone on AS that i have streighten up and changed.but i hope i could just show you that i have streighten up.

If I could... I'd ban you from here too... but that's not my call.

I've seen forums where a member could donate to get another member suspended, banned, remove avatar, etc.

Let's see... donate a Franklin, I'll ban him for a year.

Just kidding!!!

why i haven't done anything other here to be banned. i'm trying to show everyone on AS that i have streighten up and changed.but i hope i could just show you that i have streighten up.

Damage is already been done dude. You can't be trusted, and you're a liar. End of story.

I've seen forums where a member could donate to get another member suspended, banned, remove avatar, etc.

Let's see... donate a Franklin, I'll ban him for a year.

Just kidding!!!

I've got $20. Anyone else want in? :lol:

I'm in! Just wish Butch wasn't kidding... :)

Gary

Damage is already been done dude. You can't be trusted, and you're a liar. End of story.

I'm in! Just wish Butch wasn't kidding... :)

Gary

well the way i see it. that needs to stay over there and not brought on no other site.but what it looks like your trying to start stuff on every site i go to.so Gary please leave me alone.i'm not trying to start nothing on here but this needs to be stoped.

You still haven't explained why everything in your signature is spelled correctly, yet your posts have the literacy of a three-year old dyslexic. My troll alarm is blaring.

For that matter, I've never understood why people see the need to post every single item they own in their signature, like anyone else would give a flying frig. I mean... is it supposed to be impressive, or something?

Back