Stick trick vid for Gary

Also just read it. Very very cool and interesting trick and all the related background info.

And the fact that a good climber's trick just made it to the other side of the earth, with one click, so that a bunch of other interested treemen now understand it, is pretty incredible.

very cool! ive seen video of the stick trick before, but it was impossible to see what exactly they were doing. this makes it all clear. thanks. now if i can pull it out of my hat on a job and impress the guys that would be fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There are variations on the method, another way is to not put the loop in with the lashing, but to create a loop attached by a clove hitch on the end of the stick as the very last thing. As you move up to the next loop and stick, the clove hitch gets slid off with your foot and the loop drops away, then it becomes a bit faster to uncoil the lower stick lashing from above. Most of the time the fellow in the vid is incorporating the stick with his climbing line, so the loop may not be required.

I'm going to make some sticks on the lathe, just dowels really. It occurs that some slight swelling towards the ends would help prevent the lashing from sliding outward. A little indentation cut into the wood for the initial attachment knot could be good too. I think a hard and resilient wood like Oak would be my choice. You could have one side of the stick flat where it lays against the tree. Custom climbing sticks!

Excellent ideas...I did a quick test with 2 bamboo sticks on Thanksgiving...climbed about 8 feet up. It worked very well. A swell or indentation for a good rope "purchase" sounds right to me...a bamboo joint can do the same thing. You need a soft hand rope that does not pick much methinks. I'll try it again soon with a proper climbing line and see how efficient it is to ascend.

Gary, if you PM me your address, I'll make up some sticks for you. if you have a diameter in mind from your tests, before the swelling, it would help. Off hand an inch seems about right. I seem to recall mention of three strand rope like safety blue, being a good choice. Perhaps a lighter wood is preferable, one that has sufficient strength. A type of Ash?

Gary, if you PM me your address, I'll make up some sticks for you. if you have a diameter in mind from your tests, before the swelling, it would help. Off hand an inch seems about right. I seem to recall mention of three strand rope like safety blue, being a good choice. Perhaps a lighter wood is preferable, one that has sufficient strength. A type of Ash?

That IS a great offer and I do accept. I cut a good bit of bamboo last Sunday to help set up a gymnastic training area for my grandson. Once I set up what he needs I will have diameters from 1 inch up to 2 inches that I can experiment with. I'll decide what diameter seems to work best and let you know.

Thank you for your offer...it will be a special touch to have your hand made climbing sticks to work with.

Jay...check your PM. Yep, postage..in my PM I told Jay I am very glad to pay whatever postage there is to receive such a unique gift.

I just discovered a bokken (a wooden sword) that a friend gave me about 35 years ago...a very close friend that I have not seen now for about 20 years...that bokken has been in its canvas scabbard all that time, never touched. The dha (Burmese sword) was not a part of bando that I studied.

And now I just re-discovered the bokken...and the timing is unique and fortuitous...I have been training dha (Burmese sword) for the past year and the bokken will be a close approximation to what I need to take the next step in my training. Discovering that bokken is like finding Bob again in a way...I have a fondness for that piece of shaped wood from decades ago. It is only a piece of wood but it was a gift from a friend and so it becomes special.

Jay has not even made the climbing sticks for me yet...and I already have a fondness for them.

Thanks, Jay.

I'll cover the postage. There is a sweet tall girl that works at my small post office, Japanese but she dyes her hair auburn, and fun to write on the custom's declaration, "sticks".

Back