Stick trick vid for Gary

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
I had earlier mentioned about an excellent climber friend that doesn't use spikes. This is his method for attaching himself to a spar, etc. He normally carries these sticks on his belt. He explained it as an ancient method here for climbing trees. I've observed him using the method many times, and it seems to serve him quite well. Gary asked me to elaborate if possible.

My first vid with the cool helmet cam from Deva. :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hdjCNg1QTM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Indeed, almost all climbers wear them, many ground workers as well. I have a pair with spikes and a hard plastic toe protection insert. Very light and comfortable.

The last lashing method he explained is for larger diameter trees to keep the rope from sliding off the stick.

Yeah, I figured it would be a handicap, but intuitive skills could save the day. I didn't catch it all either. :/:

The guy is entirely self taught with his rope methods, etc, since basically there is no other way to learn arborist climbing skills here. An impressive climber, he gets the call for all the tricky jobs. Super nice guy to work with too.

Jay,

Thank you so much for getting that video...I'm honored that you remembered to film that and glad the technique can be shared so easily and from so far away. You have also helped preserve some knowledge that is not commonly known.

It reminds me of some of the types of "different" techniques that I have been shown by my teacher from Burma. He has shown us methods of using staffs/sticks, short and long, for making stretchers (the most intriguing one simply involves 2 men with a stout belt on their waist, 2 pieces of six foot bamboo and that's all...no string or rope, just a quick and efficient way to carry an injured person away from a dangerous area), splints, massage, removing bodies from a battlefield, hiking, probing for booby traps, making shelters, fires, self defense, meditation, vaulting over creeks and on and on.

Your "tree ninja" looks very skilled and willing to share his knowledge...very cool. I worked a gum takedown recently that had a lean in the top that made it difficult to get the spurs to grab and push me to the work position I needed. I can see where this stick trick could provide a quick way to make that kind of situation a lot easier. That was a good trick at 2:50 where he used his feet to rotate the standing position 90 degrees around the tree.

He did a good job of pantomiming how you can throw the stick around a large tree to set the work station.

I will be experimenting with this technique...will let you know how it works for me.

Good job with the camera...very controlled, not jerky at all. Good quality video and sound and EXCELLENT topic. Thanks again.

Jay, if a tall climb is done with the stick trick, how do you get down? Bear hug and slide? I can just picture a unforeseen branch getting caught in the unpleasant area. Keep the vids coming!

Very interesting .Along the same lines they some how use a pair of rope loops to shinny up flag poles .I've never seen it done though

I've seen this ancient technique before but this is by far the best video of the technique I've ever seen! Thanks for making it! Good job!

I'm stoked that you guys like the vid. :boogie:

Fred, I would imagine that if that method was used solely for climbing trees, the difficulties and potential problem that you mentioned would possibly come into play. The fellow there uses the sticks in conjunction with his regular climbing line, and using the line with the normal methods that people in the house here use, is the only way that I have ever seen him ascend or descend beyond short distances. In the old days, probably the sole use of the sticks was commonplace. He mentioned the method being between four and five hundred years old, but I'm not sure how he knows that. When he is climbing, I work the ground, he usually works for a large outfit, isn't part of our regular crew. Oserving him, he uses the sticks rather effortlessly as a part of his overall system. He seems quite fluid with it, after looking away I will look back and he will be standing on the stick with one foot in the loop, and I have to wonder when he had time to do that. I've seen him lash the stick to Oaks no bigger that four inches or so and top trees, and as he mentioned, up to trees a meter in diameter they work well too with the proper lashing. I get the impression that he has trained with the sticks.

Interested to read of your progress, Gary, and if there might be something that you can't pick up about it, let me know and maybe the translation is a help, or I can ask the next time I see him. He is generous with his experience, and apparently subscribes to some existing philosophy about not using spikes for removals, something that he has mentioned but not elaborated upon. The sicks by the way, are two feet long. Some species the log auction yards will refuse if there are spike wounds. One place nearby has a sign up specifying it for people dropping off logs.

I haven't gotten that far in enquiring, just was told that my spikes weren't welcomed at one job with a certain tree, and later informed what the sign said. Guess I should ask why. With the Pines it's ok, most hardwoods too, I believe. When in Rome.....

Good question? Some Buddhist thing? In India with the Hindus, I don't think you can tell a cow to get out of the way.

Could it be that the sap flow through the spike holes invite insects?

In Germany they routinely peel the bark off of the logs, to keep them from being infested by insect larvae.

I've never seen them peel a hardwood tree.If they did lay around long enough to get bugs they'd only be in the sap wood,wane .,what ever you want to call it. They throw that part way any how unless it might be walnut just for austetics .Besides that I have no idea what would attack a walnut tree .

I'm thinking that in traditional carpentry they like to use logs in the bark peeled raw form sometimes. It would be a good reason not to want spike scars. Such logs suitable would definitely fetch a better price, but I didn't think there was so much of that work going on now. Buyers do go looking for such logs for special projects that come up. The yards should probably specify exactly what can be and can't be spiked. I'll have to ask them about it, but haven't been going there much lately since having a third party haul our logs.

Back