Steel Cables + Aesculus + 38+ years = ...

treelooker

Treehouser
No worries, apparently. Past owner saw them in 1976 when moving in. No signs of maintenance in the interim. 2014: the first cable looks quite new, the second had raveled one turn of the splice, which we 'remedied' by vinyl tape and circular clamps.

Response growth is quite striking. One leader thickened and sprouted above the cable, the other below. All within the parameters of 'normal' for the species and age. No sign of 'karate' failures, though the cable is quite low, now. Tree may have been planted in 1834.

This traditional technology is underrecognised. these 2 look to have a dozen more years left, half a century in all. Dieback from root abuse and old age sadly lessens contributions, but happily lessens risk. I still gave a bid on smaller ones higher up, but no sale. Scheduled reevaluation in January.

Bad fork would not likely benefit from extra movement, so dynamic would not fit the objective. Many cables do not need frequent inspections, or carry increased liability. A sorely underused service for maintaining older trees, and the habitat within.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 73
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 73
Looks like you guys are having fun with Cameraria ohridella, too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stig I think the browning was due to fungus--common in late season ime-- but frankly the structural issue consumed my attention on this one and i did not ID!

I had a conversation with some english lads about the reasons of browning in a similar chestnut and i was convinced the problem Cameraria ohridella not because of the pictures posted but because of the circumstances. It was a picture taken in Austria and the poster was asking about what the common problem could be with all the street trees de-colouring.

I have just been to the U.K and observed some serious cases of Cameraria ohridella i can defiantly see a difference but I'm not 100 percent on wether is due to climate or because it is a combination of the moth and root stress or as you suggested a fungi, Guignardia aesculi ?

sorry for the derail but its defiantly an interesting one

The bracing looks to be in incredible condition and functioning really well , any plans to replace with another static system in the future?

The bracing looks to be in incredible condition and functioning really well , any plans to replace with another static system in the future?

The owner tends to feel that with so much dieback the load is reduced so no more support is needed.

And I would tend to agree. Response growth is quite vigorous.

Our Buck-eye don't get near that big /tall.

Nor do our Aesculus in steamy NC; too many fungal issues. they do a lot better in IL.

O and looking at the pics again, I don't see any mining by Cameraria. I've seen it bad in Germany and the UK. But Aesculus is not a major player in landscapes here ime.

Back