Static Rope for Tree Climbing

In regards to taking falls on a static rope while working SRT or SRWP (Single Rope Work Positioning) wouldn't the Snake Anchor be a solution to this dilemma?

In regards to taking falls on a static rope while working SRT or SRWP (Single Rope Work Positioning) wouldn't the Snake Anchor be a solution to this dilemma?

I don't think that anchor offers any dynamic or shock absortion feature...am I mistaken?

I’m mostly just watching how this develops as I’m not at SRT or SRWP yet but, how about a ‘Screamer’?

Really hard to incorporate at the climber connection, too long to work with efficiently...but perhaps at the basal anchor. Worth looking at, I guess.

I'll have to watch this another time soon, bedtime now :). News to me if that unit works like a screamer. Thanks for the link.

Probably will need one of those at some point. Didn’t watch the whole thing yet, jump to 6:27 to get the shivers. Funny, I’ve always just guest at how hard a hit I could take, 5 feet of slack and 20 feet back to the trunk, ah - I think I could take that, I’m pretty wound up. I think I was mostly wrong.

Thanks for posting that ClimbMIT.

Like all ART stuff, that thing is pretty nice. It's also WAY overpriced in the states thanks to sherrill. $136 for the shorter one. From honey bros it's $77 usd. Shipping from the UK is expensive but if you get 2-3 people splitting an order it's definitely worth it.

Careful, honeybros is great and all but you WILL get a customs charge from UPS a week or two after you get the order and it isn't cheap. I just had a 500 dollar order and get hit for 90 in customs (that does not include the shipping charge honeybros charged me).

As far as climbing on dynamic lines, I've done a lot of climbing with the RW on static lines and it performs very well. I don't see an appreciable difference with the hitch function on static vs. traditional arborist lines (24 or 16strand). However, the tight weave and smaller diameter can get uncomfortable on your hands after a while. I actually strained a tendon in one of my fingers and kept me from gripping tight for a week or two had to lay off the static lines. I now use Kernmaster which is a perfect combination between the two lines, and static enough to do ascents without a noticeable difference. The weave is slightly looser than a full static line and it does have slightly more stretch, but still very minimal when comparing with a traditional rope.

Having said that, the next rope I buy will be cougar blue. I used some while traveling with a friend in February, and it's a great rope for DRT and SRT. I would buy now but like Adrian, I have so many ropes at this point it would be just glutinous.

jp:D

Probably nobody will believe this but I wanted to invent a lanyard that could be adjustable and cinch to the tree like the Snake Anchor before it came out. Then I thought all that splicing the rope together would be expensive plus I didn't have funds for a patent either. I drew pictures and told some family members about it around 6 months before it came out. Then one day I get this Sherril Tree ad in my mail and it's on the cover! Lol I didn't think about how it would absorb shock load though. All in all It seems like a great multi functional tool that could save a life! Now if I could just come up with something that I can patent and sell ;)

Careful, honeybros is great and all but you WILL get a customs charge from UPS a week or two after you get the order and it isn't cheap. I just had a 500 dollar order and get hit for 90 in customs (that does not include the shipping charge honeybros charged me).

Good point, I did get banged on an order close to $500 but it was only $20 for customs. They must squeeze you guys harder there because they figure you're used to it! :)

Yep. I was getting a bunch of cams for a spiderjack, some petzl stuff, etc. I've ordered from over there in a group twice. Once with some guys on the buzz and once with housers. Both times I made out pretty well.

Probably nobody will believe this but I wanted to invent a lanyard that could be adjustable and cinch to the tree like the Snake Anchor before it came out. Then I thought all that splicing the rope together would be expensive plus I didn't have funds for a patent either. I drew pictures and told some family members about it around 6 months before it came out. Then one day I get this Sherril Tree ad in my mail and it's on the cover! Lol I didn't think about how it would absorb shock load though. All in all It seems like a great multi functional tool that could save a life! Now if I could just come up with something that I can patent and sell ;)

Totally believe it. That is common and there are even attempts at explaining it that I have read in books from the 1930’s. A person could get ready to move on one of those ideas that will come in the future.

Back