Starting a tree service.

You have to start with why do you want to start your own tree service?
then the rest will fall into place.
I didn't chose to be self employeed I needed a good adze kicking 1st.
I think I would have preferred to be employeed but some of us are misfits.
Best of Luck!

Rajan, do they present the coupon up front or do they wait until they get a price and then present it? If the coupon is presented up front it just seems like most companies will figure the difference back into the bid, therefore making the coupon a bunch of bs.

Rajan, are a lot of your customers more than first timers. I mean you work for them more times than once?

Look on the bright side of life, getting ten off the first time. Presuming that everyone is treated the same in that regard, it doesn't seem unfair. Continuing clients probably feel the service is worth the regular price, and it's always great when you can swing customers away from only seeing price as the motivating factor. The first time discount maybe shows appreciation for taking the chance, is how I'd hope people would look at it.

Look on the bright side of life, getting ten off the first time. Presuming that everyone is treated the same in that regard, it doesn't seem unfair. Continuing clients probably feel the service is worth the regular price, and it's always great when you can swing customers away from only seeing price as the motivating factor. The first time discount maybe shows appreciation for taking the chance, is how I'd hope people would look at it.

I think if anything the regular clients should be getting the ten percent.

It seems like it could depend on your particular niche. Is customer retention more important for your business, or is getting new customers all of the time?

When I first got in this biz I offered 10% discounts in my advertising ,but I heard it just made my company look dishonest after people figured out that I don't charge by the hour but by the job, with exception of stump removal charged by inch diameter.

The best promotion for my company is offering tree work gift certificates to annual fund raisers for the school board, day cares, the hospitals and city festivals . The money I'm helping raise for these groups benefits everyone who works and relies in these organizations, which gets my name out there to them in a good way and then they hire me .
Buying a new vehicle from a car dealership does make the staff hire me but in the end sadly as we all know their in the business to screw you.

But I don't throw my money around , it's my hard earned money and I expect respect. One example is the $500 I give every year as a sponsor to our city's annual winter festival and have been doing that for many years now . Last year they had my company name on the billboards missed spelled as HOLMGREN TREE SERVICES. When I approached the festival's chairman and secretary about it they acted annoyed and they both bluntly said "Its not our fault the printer screwed up".
So just for that rudeness I no longer give them $500. Myself being a festival director I just let my own company sign do my advertising at my timbersport event and reduce my prize structure by $500 .

Another peeve I have is commercial jobs given to me by a manager who in return expects a sweet deal from me to do treework for him. I don't bend for that and with his nose out of joint he never speaks to me again. No skin off my back he's replaced by someone else down the road and I get a call from the agency again.:)

Attachments

• SDC11128.jpg
    SDC11128.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 127
I can only speak from an Anglo French view point. If it's domestic clients you're after you're going to need new clients all the time. If you take down a tree in most peoples gardens they won't need you for another 120 years. Sure there will be some hedges to do yearly (if you do hedges) and some clients with larger properties for whom you go back yearly. Generally though it's a day here a couple of days there and that needs a lot of turnover of clients, a lot of evenings and weekends pricing. The good side is they usually pay on the button and you don't stretch yourself financially.
It's what I prefer personally having done some commercial work for construction companies and local authorities.
WWB the way you say "is customer retention important or is it getting new customers all the time?" The two are not mutually exclusive you know.

Colin, I wish you good luck. for a long time I work for others on the ground then as a climber. in 2008 I decided to go on my own with nothing more then a pick up truck. 2 saws 2 ropes and my climbing gear and one helper. we are in better condition now.

Hey there guys,

I just joined a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking. I really have gotten a lot from this thread. I like the atmosphere here. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well fiddler I did the stupid, went into business with a partner, did well working in toronto partner got annoyed of it thought he could do better himself so i told him you buy me out. Sold my half to him, slowly restarted and doing things my way this time hoping to pay the bills this year and go full time into it leave my second job. gotta get my bucket truck on the road soon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep, hardest part some days now is motivation, when you have to make do with equipment you have its hard to see profit being lost because of doing it the hard way.

It's funny, in all the years I've been paddling my own canoe I can say I've never lacked motivation.

I read a tweet once where someone wrote "I cannot understand anyone who's life is not motivated by revenge"

I might make that my new sig.

Back