SRT Revolution - Why Now?

chris_girard

Treehouser
Well, I've been strictly ascending SRT for prunings for the last 4 years and then switching over to a DdRT system for working the tree, but now with the Rope Wrench, I think that is going to change when I can start climbing again.

My question is, why is it just now with the RW, that tree workers are starting to see the benefits of climbing SRT? Like Cary has said before, every other At Height Industry uses SRT to work in, why is tree work so different?

I think Chris it is because the RW and a hitch feels very familiar and until then, other SRT systems felt more alien.

the F-8 revolver was the first step.

the Uni is nice, but too mechanical for my tastes.

SRT really is the most efficient way to work a tree and climb, those who won't or don't try it are going to be left behind in the old, work harder not smarter system ;)

I would rather enjoy work more, use less energy, save time and money :)

not saying the old system is bad, before I get jumped by all the old skoolers ;) it is just not as efficient, true-said.

It's new ways to do our work more efficiently. If I were young and still climbing I'd make the switch too. Good stuff. I see many benefits to it.

The way it is. Plain and simple.

Well, I've been strictly ascending SRT for prunings for the last 4 years and then switching over to a DdRT system for working the tree, but now with the Rope Wrench, I think that is going to change when I can start climbing again.

My question is, why is it just now with the RW, that tree workers are starting to see the benefits of climbing SRT? Like Cary has said before, every other At Height Industry uses SRT to work in, why is tree work so different?

Also Chris there is a TON of $$$ on gear for DRT, all the new DMM/teufelberger stuff , ART, etc.

the new pulleysaver rigs are really not to make it easier on the tree as much as they are for trying to make DRT easier, because it is simply not as efficient as SRT.

And unless these companies jump on the bandwagon and cater to SRT for treework, they are going to suffer. Petzl already has a ton of SRT gear, Jared Abrojena uses a petzl rig system and climbs SRT most of the time.

I would be more inclined to try it out if I didn't have to girth tie my life line at the base of the tree. Been thinking about how it would work if I tied a running bowline at TIP with say a zing it line tied to the knot so it could be pulled out from the ground. Make sense??

jugged miles of rope "srt" before i started trees......so much so, I still laugh how folks think it is the savior to tree work

I like my diverse bag of tricks....SRT is not special IMO..

i should work on my ABS more though.....

since i started bouldering again, I have realized how rope dependent I have become...F**k!

SRT is hardly a be all/end all.

+1
Every system has it's place...
Yesterday I did a partial removal SRT. Worked awesome and was fast. Before that I did a partial removal Ddrt and it worked perfect for that tree and was better than an SRT system and having to redirect it. The Ddrt turned into an ALT at the appropriate moment and and then Ddrt back down the stem I went.
Bag of tricks comes in handy... But there is no one perfect solution in my world. I doubt I am alone in that. Hell a bucket would have been nice today. But the Wraptor made it easy and the job got done with less over head. :thumbup:
BTW.. SRT would have SUCKED on this gray pine FWIW.

I would be more inclined to try it out if I didn't have to girth tie my life line at the base of the tree. Been thinking about how it would work if I tied a running bowline at TIP with say a zing it line tied to the knot so it could be pulled out from the ground. Make sense??

I do that a lot too , makes perfect sense.

I weigh about 230 lbs., I do not like have sharp objects near a rope that is that taught, nor do I care for my lifeline to be secured at the base of the tree. SRT is a great tool but I suspect it will kill someone.

Thanks Carl, beat me too it! I want to see the engineering data on so called climbing efficiency.
If its about making more money, well the best thing I ever did was stop climbing trees.

Whilst I accept that industrial rope access techniques all use SRT, these techniques also demand and enforce backup and double backup systems. I'd hardly say that taking that lead is going to improve 'efficiency'

I was talking to a tower guy today and he flat out didn't believe me that tree guys aren't required to tie in with 2 ropes at all times. He contended just because we do it doesn't mean its legal. OM I doubt if you hit your life line with 110lbs on it or 220lbs with a chainsaw the outcome is going to be much different ...

Ed, you keep some strange hours my man...

no, but it is more efficient pull a foot, move a foot ddrt, pull a foot, move 6 inches. ;) can't deny the math
Sure on dynamic drt you pull 1 foot and move 6 inchs. But footlocking both lines with "old school" static drt you go twice as fast. Then retie at the top with dynamic to work the tree.
But then how many climbers today can footlock static drt?

Use a ladder/ loader/ handtruck to put your base-tie above ground worker's reach. It would be in reach with the same tool in the event of needing to do an emergency lower-out.

close mindedness prevails again here I see.......tsk, tsk..so sad to see.

That's funny right there man. I think most here are into a open discussion about it it would seem. Some more than others?

ummmmm..... you're talking to guys that have a lot of experience.... I find it strange your constant rants on SRT as the savior to tree work. I've used the rope wrench, it's alright and there are some great applications for it. There's also some downsides to it as well, and for now I'll stick with working the tree DdRt, I've done both but I bet I can move around the tree with as much or more ease on a my ddrt system as your ropewrench... And for our average everyday trees at the 30 - 50ft heights I'll be footlocking as long as my body will let me, or until I get a wraptor :)

For the question about the need to base tie, I recently heard of a cool trick I'm going to try on my next SRT climb. Instead of tying at base, run the rope around your final TIP, make a ring (like the small ring on a FS) with a splice attached to the ring and a long tail like you would use on a blake's or tautline. Run one side that you plan to attach your climbing hitch to all the way through the ring up to the TIP, tie a blake's or tautline or whatever with the tail of the rope to the other side and snug it up against the stem. You can then alpine lockoff or whatever you do to secure directly below the hitch. Now you have both sides touching and your connection is up in the tree and you can still retrieve from the ground. I'll take pics when I get a chance...

jp:D

In answer to Chris's orinigal question, why now, I think he hit it spot on when he mentioned the RW. Before the RW and F8 system, too not only ascend, but work SRT required some sort of mechanical device. The majority of climbers today learned to climb on a hitch, and thats what they want to stick too. Most of them don't want to switch to something totally alien to them(mechanical descenders, etc) just too work SRT. And besides that, the biggest problem with mechanical descenders has been its either an all the way open, or fully closed thing, they take a lot of practice with to get that minute adjustment you get with a hitch.

The reason so many people are now switching is that learning curve has been almost eliminated thanks to the RW, so many more climbers can see the benefit of climbing SRT. You get all the benefits of SRT with the feel of a hitch. No more steep learning curve regarding the use of mechanical devices, all it takes is a RW and hitch. The RW follows the KISS principle, which is why its so successful I believe.

Back