SRT RETRIEVABLE REDIRECT, Rope Wrench & SLRW (video)

Jack

Treehouser
I recently tried several new things: GoPro, Rope Wrench, Single Line Rope Walker, SRT Retrievable Redirect. They're all in the following video with a fun 'out-take' at the end.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pQL6imLj_TM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nicely shot video and smooth climbing, Jack.

Where do you see the application of the retrievable redirect versus climbing over the branch and dropping through the crotch/ unclipping your climbing system and moving it and the tail of the rope over the branch and reconnecting to your saddle? On a section of crotchless trunk possibly? It looks like the bight of rope going back up the tree could cause problems by getting snagged on a stubby branch, or piece of bark. Would a midline attachable ring (screw link)-and-ring(biner) redirect possibly reduce the risk of snagging?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah ... I, too, laughed-out-loud at the feet in the air. :lol:

I only see a limited application for the concept. It does use a lot of rope and, as you say, there can be nothing to snag the loop. But, it did work ... just another tool in the kit.

What was most satisfying was how well the SLRW worked. I had pulled my old version of Jerry's DLRW out of the shed and applied it to the Rope Wrench -- worked great.
I'm anxious to try it with the HH. :blob6:

If you have to hop over two trees, and there is no crotch where you need it on the middle tree, you could employ that trick there, whereas a R-and-R friction saver would be problematic to pull from the ground after doing your work in the third tree.

Good thing you had a good, soft, leafy landing zone!

I'm impressed that you keep your lanyard stowed so neatly every time. I daisy chain the tail but let the rest dangle.

I liked seeing how you implemented the ropewalker idea into the rope wrench setup. I'm going to try it for sure!

love
nick

Back