Split tail help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely try Tenex first, it perfect for 1/2" line and slides and grabs like a dream. It's only weaknesses are picking and rapid wear from heat.Tenex with a Blakes is a sweet ride on 1/2" rope.

I notice that the Tenex has a considerably lower melting point than the ice or bee-line, a bit above half.

Definitely something you want to keep in mind if you try a 70 foot burning descent.

I notice that the Tenex has a considerably lower melting point than the ice or bee-line, a bit above half.

Yep, but it still doesn't melt easy. I've zipped out of trees on it with nothing more than some glazing. It wears fast, a lot faster than beeline but 10mm beeline is basically expensive tenex with a technora cover and without the nice grip/slide action of polyester on polyester.

Tenex is cheap, it's well worth trying, especially changing over from old skool to new skool. I promise, you'll like it with a Blakes or a Distel. Spliced eye-eye tenex is 3/8" with double thickness because the buries cross and taper. It's thinner unspliced.

Don't try a VT just yet until you get used to slack tenders and eye-eye split-tails. If you don't tie it just right, the way it doesn't necessarily grab it can be pretty disconcerting 50' up.

.. I've zipped out of trees .

you are old - do you really ZIP or just slid down slowly and in your mind it is a zip.

is cost the issue or comfort and feel and reliablility and long lasting.

you also have to think - spliced eye or knots. the knots are just cumbersome, i perfer spliced eyes., thanks nick.

hmm - what are we really thinking?

you are old - do you really ZIP or just slid down slowing and in your mind it is a zip.

I may be old but I'm still pretty zippy going down... it's going UP that my age really shows.

I interpret that Blinky is mentioning the comfort and feel of the Tenex as being a positive, balancing it with the longevity.

Yes, and I agree with him. Tenex will not last as long as Beeline, but I feel that it performs better and it's much cheaper to replace. It's all personal preference, though. The Tenex is cheap enough that ordering 10' to make a couple split tails should only set you back a few dollars.

Better yet, PM me your address and I'll just mail you some. I've got 30 or 40 feet of it lying around somewhere.

Yep, tenex is easier to grip and control without burning your fingers because of the larger diameter and the hollow weave. It's also very supple compared to beeline and grabs reliably after the coils have been compressed... you don't have to think about it, just put your weight on it and go. With beeline or HRC...? Not so much.

Kindly offer, Leon, thanks! I doubt that Tenex is available here. International, I'll gladly cover the shipping.

PM on the way.

Tenex! Feels great on those bigger lines and is very predictable.

Back