Splicing X Rings

Nick, any idea how that XRR is working out on the end of a U-Saver? Coworker lost my wichard shackle on a jobsite, and since I want to make a longer body for mine anyway I'm thinking that looks pretty darn sweet. Just curious if it's as functional as it is sexy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I havent used it, nor will I since its not for me, but here are my thoughts:

I have a Large 28/20 XRR on my rigSAVER and it works great, it retrieves fine but you need a steel ring (cut mine off an old harness) its probly 30mm OD and 4mm bar stock. The XRR also adds some functionality in terms of using the saver in basket config.

For Randys uSAVER with the medium 20/14 XRR you will need something >=15mm to retrieve it that still clears your Pinto, I am sending Randy a the same steel ring I use which will retrieve both his rig&u SAVERS.

The difference between using the ring and a wichard is that you have to thread the ring. However if you consider 'when' you use the wichard for retrieval it is in choked config, when you have to thread your climbing system anyway, so its no big deal IMO. Its no better than say a DMM ring but it sure looks nice and its functional so I say why not. Keep in mind that JDD states the XRRs should not be used for climbing apps so you do so at your own risk.

I saw a ton of guys use a secret weapon setup in the AR at the Ohio TCC... I was tinkering today and this is what I came up with:

IMG_5896.JPG

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5874.JPG
IMG_5873.JPG
IMG_5870.JPG

IMG_5882.JPG

Ummm, wow. That looks like a kinda complicated setup. :?
Please be patient with me being a total newbie but, what's the "advantage" of a setup like that?
I can see you have an "independent" system tied into the X ring, and the whole thing can be advanced on the double rope. What's the "tail" with the 'biner hooked into the mid-line loop for..... ? :?
Is that something that's needed in climbing competitions, a "redundant" climbing system? :|:

By the way, that's a really interesting way you have that X ring spliced into the TVP.

I was a big fan of the "secret weapon", Nick.

Once the Hitchhiker hit the market, it lost some of it's allure, though.

No need for remote setting a SRT system is kinda gone, when one can just SRT up the line and go directly to work IMO.

I dont see a need for it in my daily climbing, I could have used it in the AR event of the comp though (had it been allowed).

The way it works Randy, is it is a secured footlock prusik. Once you footlock up, you weight the prusik and put your DRT system through the ring, yard up the drt system, tie the knot, and unclip the footlock prusik from your saddle. The tail is just clipped up for convenience and the knot is to block the prusik if it slides, the knot is a requirement for use.

Okay, I can see how it would work now. :)
I've never tried footlock, I've watched several videos but was always kind of intimidated by it..... :\:
Trying find some up to date climbing videos, I'm watching the '10 ITCC video right now.....

Well I was late to the game with this (Tom Hoffmann got his done first). When I received the big ring this was the first thing I thought of. An overhand knot in 1/2" rigging line easily passes through the larger ring and catches on the smaller ring. Just like a plain old R&r friction saver I guess you can call this a X-R&r.

It is just under 8' long (7'9"), made of 3/4" Husky Double Braid Bull Rope with a published MBS of 23,000 lbs.

The new 38x28 XRR is made exclusively for XAS. Pretty cool, cant wait to try it out.

4.JPG

3.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

6.JPG

5.JPG

Nick,
Wow! That is some very serious looking gear you made. :thumbup:
Awesome splices, and that X-ring is HUGE!!! Me likey!!!:big-tongue3:
Great idea having Meg model the gear. No really, it shows how huge that X-ring is, very nice. ;)
Sooooo, what are planning on using that "monster" for.....? :big-wink:

I have no idea... Most likely for setting remote rigging points for heavy winching and whole tree rigging, as a ground level winch redirect.

For sure that'll take about anything you put on it. ;)
What ever you use it for you're gonna have the best looking rigging gear, by far! :big-not-worthy:

I thought it showed that Meg is a midget and the dog is a miniature dachshound.

Nice of you to use the X-rings, Nick.

You are a better person than me ( should that be. " I"???)

I would have gone with the cheaper alternative, just because!

Actually, the Antal rings are roughly the same price, and by the time you add shipping costs they are more than getting them at treestuff w/ free shipping. Ultimately its immaterial, all the XRRs I have were provided to me for my review.

The new XL 38/28 ring is made exclusive for XAS so you can only get it from him.

Actually, the Antal rings are roughly the same price, and by the time you add shipping costs they are more than getting them at treestuff w/ free shipping. Ultimately its immaterial, all the XRRs I have were provided to me for my review.

The new XL 38/28 ring is made exclusive for XAS so you can only get it from him.

Sorry, who/what is "XAS"? :dontknow:

This was a 'Duh' moment...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7KBHccn-w_8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A couple of clove hitches and we got it out ok..I wasnt hurt, just my pride.

Wow! That looked like it could have been bad.....:O
Were you trying to pull a stump?, is that what the rope was hooked to? :?

Glad to hear you weren't hurt Nick. :D
Fortunately you're able to learn from this one without getting hurt. It keeps ya' humble, AND ALERT. ;)

DSCF5532.jpg

So with half of that bend radius on one side of the paper and half of it on the other side, seven inches in between, does that make it a 7 inch bend radius?

Back