Splicing X Rings

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ejy4e8us.jpg

Thanks for the idea pctree!

You rock!
mobile...

How bout a little back story on that nice little picture....

View attachment 48596

So with half of that bend radius on one side of the paper and half of it on the other side, seven inches in between, does that make it a 7 inch bend radius?

1 3/4"

It is the quantifiable degree of bending of the rope at its most extreme point, made simple by using the diameter of a sheave to diameter of the rope. If you looked at how much it bent the rope as it 'rounds the turn', it wouldn't matter if the other side was 1" or one mile away, as far as I have been able to gather about ropes.

I have the same sorta concern about the BMS Belay Spool, that I love so well. It has "radiused', aka rounded, corners on a square (cross-section) friction barrel. I think that the bend is extreme. So far, so super well, though. Its a great tool, and I think very suited to tree work.

Sean, thanks for posting in on bend radius, it looks that way to me by common sense-you worded it better than I could.

It’s interesting you bring up the BMS Belay Spool with regard to bend radius. I had thought of getting one of those for lowering light limbs. Under what circumstances do you reach for the Spool as the right tool for the job?

SOOO useful in different ways.

Last use was to tip tie 40' leaders off a smaller rigging point with the BMS BS, while butt tying a second line to carry most of the load. This means I could remotely tighten the tip-tie, then lower, without a doubling of force had I used a block. Once the piece was free, one groundie passed me the standing end which I controlled, while they lowered into a very narrow DZ.

We routinely run two man crews. I cut and lower a lot with NC rigging or the BMS BS. The groundie can catch a limb or top or log, then pass the standing end to me in order that I can lower it while he lands it.

The is a thread about it here that I started (search by user name), as well as one on TB titled O.L.D.S. Tom Dunlap is a big advocate, and to my knowledge the one that started using it in trees.

SOOOO worth $110. Doesn't replace porty and the like, but a great tool.

Back