Spiking doesn't hurt trees?

Wow...great documentation. The spiker needs to see that. The homeowner should bill the spiker for the loss of the tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Worst part:

Tree is near property line. Owned by my client
Neighboring house was being sold. Realtor hired gardeners to prune it for a sale
Tree owner said they could prune it if they could be present to watch.

Trimmers didn't show up at the agreed upon time. Tree owner left a few hours later, came basic and this is what was done.

love
nick

Different trees react differently, although I avoid spiking live trees myself. That, you have there, is a rather ugly result.

Nick: It's important to remember that this stuff is not only species specific, but regionally specific as well. Here in the PNW, we'd just as soon have our new guys spike most trees that they prune in the spring, because without them, they'll take so much cambium off the top of the limbs. (Not a universal opinion up here, I'll grant you). But the spur wounds compartmentalize beautifully, and the trees never significantly--or even appreciably--rot in those areas.

Wow... That is messed up. Even in my early days not knowing diddly and spiking a prune, I felt that there has to be a better way. Damn, some folks just don't have conscience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nick: It's important to remember that this stuff is not only species specific, but regionally specific as well...

Obviously. But should we really expect workers to know which trees can and can't be spiked? No.

...the spur wounds compartmentalize beautifully, and the trees never significantly--or even appreciably--rot in those areas.

Nope. They don't They are ugly and just because you don't see big crusty funguses growing out of the spike wounds, that doesn't mean that there isn't damage there.

But the spur wounds compartmentalise beautifully, and the trees never significantly--or even appreciably--rot in those areas.

You, in your own words state it... A tree compartmentalises "damage".... So yes.. it is damaged. Ever gaff yourself? Sometimes you get infection, sometimes you don't (if you do it more than once.) . Just saying. Just better not to.

Jerry has a good informative section in Fundamentals on damage from spike wounds, cross sections of the wounds at a later date shows more than simply looking at the outside of the tree would reveal. That might be reason #56 to get the text.

That's nasty Nick.

Avocados over here inevitably have rot pockets from hurricanes smashing them up...but we don't get a fungus like that!
I pruned an old one this week, belongs to a friend of mine he calls it 'the money tree' got about 1000 pears off it last summer, at $1.25 a pop he made some good pocket money...and they are not small pears, each one like 6-8" tall and FAT. This tree has been blown over, regrown, smashed up and keeps on ticking, I did some pre-hurricane work on it, reduced the height, cut it back from the roof, thinned it a bit, used a bucket because you know how brittle they can be!

Good job on the documentation there Mr. Araya.

Jed, if most compartmentalisation happens on the inside, how can we know how beautiful it is?

Or is not?

I get Jed's point. Everyone must remember Burnhams training fir tree pics. I remember him saying those trees were spiked 100s of times over many years (decades maybe?) with no sign of decline. No tree should be spiked for a prune IMO but I've seen many firs for example way after the fact that seem no worse the wear for it.

Those pics are incredible Nick.

My buddy in Washington says they spike big ones, but the gaffs do not go thru to the cambium. Thick bark. I asked him if he knows that there is bark cambium,, he said,"what?"

Willie: I was going to refer you to Jerry's book, but absurdly, since you've already read it. I totally realize I'm going to be fighting a losing battle from the standpoint of 'consensus view' on this one, but I'm still gonna fight it cause I feel like I've got the evidence (at least as far as the Puget Sound area goes). But not tonight. Gotta put my oldest daughter to bed.

Haha, if you're talking very large fir trees or similar, with 8" thick bark that makes sense but most people don't climb those and if they do, usually the set a line and jug up as it is much easier....

Willie: I've never climbed a fir with 8" bark in my life, except for Burnham's Old Growth pig, with your flipline. We've got some second growth pigs with at least six inches on em' down near the ground, but fourty feet up em your spurs are already in the cambium again.

But I wasn't even talking about any of that... I'm talking about all of the introduced Red Maples and Hornbeams that we routinely prune around here in the spring. I could show you many an ornamental tree whose cambium in completely gone off the tops of the branches from guys climbing up with no spurs and standing on the limbs--where else are they gonna stand? The bark slips right off and then the limbs are going to decay there--right in the tension wood. The results aren't good, and yes, I'd way rather see a few ugly triangles on any of those trees, because they heal up really well with no lasting detrimental effects. Man, as far as fir pigs go, I could show you trees that we've finally removed after John Emmons had spent 25 years pruning em, roughly once every two or three years, and wearing spurs every time. We've firewood chunked a few of em down, and even cutting em into tiny 16" rounds, you won't find a single spur-wound in that pig.

Sean: Lovely remedy, but, sadly, no. Our new guys seriously suck; AND, our company bids work so aggressively, that if we foremen get stuck on a pruning job, we simply cannot afford to keep the new guys on the ground all the time. Especially if we have greenbelt (leave all debris) removals, and pruning on the same jobs, which frequently happens; but we're still expected to bring in $1,440 per diam with only one ground-guy/new-guy. (We almost never have the luxury of an experienced ground guy.)

What I mean by "our new guys suck" is a mean way of saying that they are inexperienced. Most of them cannot really even begin to prune until they have a climbline fixed above them AND have a flipline around the trunk with both feet planted confidently on the top of two limbs. And then have a pole-clip AND a pole-saw to boot. :lol

Ed: Your post gave me a serious head-check, as they usually do, and you make a really good point. It gave me pause to consider that I'll pull my truck up to ANY removal job and start cutting on that pig like my life depended on it, without even pausing (most of the time) to consider why the customer is removing it in the first place. But when it comes to pruning..... We are all like so many schoolmarms. :lol:

Ate the fruits of my last avocado prune this evening..yummy delicious 8)

Back