Spike pruning

He used to do them all with about 30 spikes on, but now that he is certified he doesn't wear his corks anymore!

I keep my spikes on during falling just in case the tree settles back and I have to put a pull off line in.

No, Gary, it was a hardwood dowel about a inch thick. It appeared that he had used a figure eight type attachment around it when lashing to the tree, but I'm not really clear on it. I'll keep in ming getting a photo if possible.

No hooks on removals?

Nyet! :drink:

oh yeah Bossman? this whole maple was done, sans-hooks, and I've done lots more too ;)

I don't do yoga, but I do stretch quite a bit and am pretty flexible in the tree, and I think this helps. IMGP9201.jpg IMGP9200.jpg IMGP9210.jpg

Now I do make sure that i can do it without spurs and plan my cuts accordingly, on tall conifers I can't, or say tall black cherry's or Elms, but on some trees is it doable :) and easier on the feet 8)

That last part, I'm not sure I agree with...but anyway Cary, it takes a skilled climber to make that work, good on ya.

the easier on the feet part? ;) I gots me some crazy flat feet, hooks hurt them, maybe I need to look into some wesco's, but I don't do enough big removals to warrant them, but I suppose, 1 job and they are paid for right :)

I got my training in northern CA, and yeah, there were some big trees that got spurred and not removed. But even back then our company took great pride in our ability to handle any tree spurless if that was what was required.
The down side to the ease and efficiency available, with our modern ropes and tools, is that highly-skilled spur work is becoming even more rare than it already was. It is a shame because if you ever see a guy that truly has mastered spur work, you will see speed and grace of movement, combined with reduced effort and safe work positioning. Spur work is fun and should cause no more foot pain than a day hiking in the mountains.

Dave

I have a pair of size 12 Wescos in excellent condition. I'd just had them company rebuilt for 225 bucks. They originally cost three bills.

I guarantee you could wear them. Slap in a thick insole, maybe wear an extra pair of socks.

These are them, on the left.

Attachments

• wescos commander.JPG
    wescos commander.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 43
No, brother - not that much, not at all. I can send them and if you can use them then just make a donation for whatever you think they're worth.

I can do than Bossman, but if we do it like this: If they don't fit right, or won't work, I'll send them to whoever wants them next?

that way, somebody (if it isn't me ;) ) will get a good pair of boots. :) yeah?

Back