Spellfeller's Continuing (Mis)Adventures Aloft

How are the leans on the trees? Anything significant? I'm just thinking about a barberchair.

I don't like to cut with the saw at neck level. I'm not concerned about the saw as much at chest level, fwiw.

The saw placement in the back cut,needs to be a tad above bottom of smile,few inches/depends on diameter ,that will reduce the chace of the trunk/hinge kicking back,thats why I inquired about the evedince.you may have cut it great,im just asking lol.
I also cut at torso level,amongst other reasons it allows me to have more leverage if i have to push it

Lookin' good, Speller...fine pictures. Always show a stump or spar cut of the top when you can...these CSI guys here can tell what you ate for breakfast and were thinking yesterday from stump shots (punny?).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
 looks good Jeff,nice smiles and bar placement looks decent. You have any pictures of the hinge wood after topping/felling cuts?

Thanks, Samuel. I definitely should have taken pix of the hinges. TH analysis of that would have been super. Won't forget again!

(Did you see your FS in there? Thanks again, brother!) :thumbup:

How are the leans on the trees? Anything significant? I'm just thinking about a barberchair.

I don't like to cut with the saw at neck level. I'm not concerned about the saw as much at chest level, fwiw.

Sean, this one had a pretty good lean. At least, enough that I couldn't get into work position 90° to where I wanted the face cut (without "barn-dooring" around to the low side), so I had to make it semi-blind. What do you recommend in cases like this?

i-VH98rLn-X2.jpg

Also, I think the appearance of "neck level" is a trick of perspective, given the height I was above the photographer. I was cutting at about the nipple line--like where a bench press bar would cross.

The saw placement in the back cut,needs to be a tad above bottom of smile,few inches/depends on diameter ,that will reduce the chace of the trunk/hinge kicking back...

Gotta ask you more about this, Samuel...

Lookin' good, Speller...fine pictures. Always show a stump or spar cut of the top when you can...these CSI guys here can tell what you ate for breakfast and were thinking yesterday from stump shots (punny?).

Thanks much, Gary! I'll remember that for sure!

Keeping your feet at different heights can help some with balance. Staying on the high side of the tree is a good rule when just starting out. Nothing wrong with stopping and peeking around the tree to make sure of things...no rule says you have to make an entire cut all at once without looking and checking. I'll cut blind but not before I have felt or seen for sure where all ropes are. Double checking things is far more important than saving a few seconds.

Yes, Fiddler has it right as far as I am concerned...time in the tree needs to mostly be ignored. Take that extra bit of time and work positioning to check things one more time. Trying to emulate some of the pro work (speed) you see done is a mistake if you are not truly confident and understand what you are doing.

As Burnham says, "confidence is often the feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation".

YOU call the shots when up in the tree...the rest of the world gets to wait.

Keeping your feet at different heights can help some with balance. Staying on the high side of the tree is a good rule when just starting out. Nothing wrong with stopping and peeking around the tree to make sure of things...no rule says you have to make an entire cut all at once without looking and checking. I'll cut blind but not before I have felt or seen for sure where all ropes are. Double checking things is far more important than saving a few seconds.

I did a WHOLE bunch of peeking, Dave. I actually neatened up my face cut with my handsaw! :lol:

i-RMHckfL-XL.jpg

Some good shots. Looks like you are finding a comfort zone. Like seeing the adjustable FS up there... :thumbup:

Thanks, Stephen. I have Samuel to thank for that. He sent me an awesome FS he made. That, coupled with a trip to TS for a ring on some Bee Line, and I was good to go!

TH generosity is truly humbling...

Yes, Fiddler has it right as far as I am concerned...time in the tree needs to mostly be ignored. Take that extra bit of time and work positioning to check things one more time. Trying to emulate some of the pro work (speed) you see done is a mistake if you are not truly confident and understand what you are doing.

YOU call the shots when up in the tree...the rest of the world gets to wait.

Gary, I am SO with you on this. I am BEYOND slooooow in the tree! :lol:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

Learn about barberchair'ing. Seems like leaning ash would be prone to it, but I don't know out there. BC prevention, too.

Definitely familiar with the 1) facecut, 2) bore cut 3) release holding strap procedure, Sean. Are there other techniques you would recommend?

This lean didn't seem THAT severe, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The Circle of Death is something I'm looking to avoid! :\:

Just saw this thread. Good job spellfeller, I started off here and watching YouTube. People here gave me the no how to climb. Now that im getting happy gaff climbing im feeling good these day confidence is good but not arrogant. Imho arrogance in this buisness is a easy way to crack your spine or worse. Pics look good bud, ill start looking for updates. Ill get that pantin in mail soon.

Looked like a big top
Nice work Jeff
Heads up, cutting tops can become addicting:/:

Thanks, man. Maybe TOO big?

Sean has me wondering if I might have gotten away with something...there's no doubt that when, I have no idea, maybe 600-800 lbs.?? went sailing off the stick, I turned into a pole dancer. Gaffs stayed put, and I was happy I kept good control of the saw.

Not that I have anything to compare it to, but...woo, daddy!

Just saw this thread. Good job spellfeller, I started off here and watching YouTube. People here gave me the no how to climb. Now that im getting happy gaff climbing im feeling good these day confidence is good but not arrogant. Imho arrogance in this buisness is a easy way to crack your spine or worse. Pics look good bud, ill start looking for updates. Ill get that pantin in mail soon.

Totally agree, Charles. You've got to stay "confidently humble"--if there is such a thing--in the tree. I'll also go with "vigilantly focused." This racket is pretty unforgiving of mistakes!

Please take your time with the mail. I am VERY grateful (and humbled!) by the hand-me-downs!

One suggestion would be to practice blocking limbs down for when you can't drop the top in one go. It will also make dropping branches when pruning easier if you have to move them around obstacles as you will know what weight that you can safely handle.
Cheers WC

Jeff,truth is,there is not enough information in these pictures for some one to judge too harshly,you cannot tell the lean,or size of the pieces cut. What you can see from the pictures looks good. Alls well that ends well. Those faces look great and you didn't gaff out ,get hurt,or break anything.The only detail I noticed I commented,some of the rest would fall under the personal preference category,I have never needed to strap a trunk together for the fell,that's just me...

Alls well that ends well. Those faces look great and you didn't gaff out ,get hurt,or break anything.

Thanks for boiling it down to the essence, Samuel!

(BTW, that band on the felling picture is just green & white marking tape. I haven't had to strap a trunk yet either!)

I agree with Sawman about the size of the top...I, too, wondered if it might be too big. I advise not getting too big on tops for awhile...climb higher and take a smaller top...it pushes less on the spar and makes you less likely to be pole dancing. It can get kind of mind-gamey in small tops with finding a good work position, though.

Sometimes I have to take an extra wrap around the spar with my lanyard for better positioning...or do a "reverse" wrap on the spar...take the lanyard snap and pass it between you and the spar then wrap the trunk...that makes for extra lanyard friction which can help.

Take small tops and then chunk down some pieces as you descend to get some practice doing that...snap cuts, face cuts and push. Don't focus on production as much as getting in practice if you have time.

I advise not getting too big on tops for awhile...climb higher and take a smaller top...it pushes less on the spar and makes you less likely to be pole dancing. It can get kind of mind-gamey in small tops with finding a good work position, though.

I think this is excellent advice, Gary. You also hit the nail on the head as to why I cut where I did: the "top of the top" had even more lean and work positioning was tougher. I actually backed down to where the trunk was a bit more vertical. I may have lowered my risk of a barberchair at the cost of increased "whip" when the top came out...?

take the lanyard snap and pass it between you and the spar then wrap the trunk...that makes for extra lanyard friction which can help.

I think Fiona mentioned this, calling it the X-Wrap, maybe? I'll give it a try.

Take small tops and then chunk down some pieces as you descend to get some practice doing that...snap cuts, face cuts and push. Don't focus on production as much as getting in practice if you have time.

Will do!

Cool to watch your progression Jeff. Looked good to me. Lots of good advice given too.

When in doubt, climb it out.

Back