Speedline Basics Video

Nick, I suggest you insert a little live video so new to speedlining people can get a better handle on what you are talking about. Do you have a time constraint? Two 5-second clips would go a long way.

Its amazing how so much work speedlining can save. My last speedline job was used both to avoid straight down rigging near obstacles, and to build brush piles for dropping the spar.

I haven't broke out my speedline gear but maybe 3 times in the last ten years. But, when I need it, I really need it!

Not drop zones, just clear enough where standard roping works fine. My last need to speedline was a pine that had two pretty Dogwood trees growing right under it.

I find speedlining to be faster and easier overall for a lot of jobs. On conifers with smaller to moderate sized branches, I'll sling a half dozen to a dozen limbs at a time, tension up and drop em all in one shot. Keeps the groundies out from under the tree, and away from my climb line (which I then don't have to hang off my harness, and don't have to worry about getting drug into the chipper). Moves the brush closer to the chipper and orients it, too. I'm less inclined to cut and throw around obstacles, which means less shoulder work. Less one handing, too, which is better for joints.

Every has their own way. Yours works for you.

I find it to be a waste of time except for when you really need it, which isn't very often.

I let the groundies orient the brush to the chipper. :drink:

I find myself looking to use it often for the same reasons. No one under me, brush oriented nicely every time and close to the chipper.
Even jobs where it all goes in the woods is perfect.

I think it is a PITA and prefer regular roping whenever possible. When you have a mini loader, getting the brush to the chipper is no big deal.

Ive never speed lined. I can think of a few occasions where I bet I would have made life easier by doing so. Most always, standard rigging off of the tree iM working on, or a tree nearby, does the trick.

Heres one from, my mate Reg.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UNKBgvzmqhg?list=UUpYc97NCVnOjJtrDQlQjtbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I never said I didn't like the speedline set-up... I said I rarely have need to use it. When I need to speedline, I will speedline!

I speed lined a million years ago, I could use a refresher.

When the limb is traveling down the speed line, the groundie slacks the speedline when the limb is in the landing spot, or does the limb run to the end of the speed line and crash stop?

Is the speedline tightened right after the cut is completed/as the limb is traveling down the speedline to get more height? Seems like if the line was tied high in tree and the limb being cut was much lower in the tree, the limb would travel mostly down and not much out due to all the slack in the line.

When do you decide to use a haul back to slow the descent of the load?

Thanks to you SL experts for some info here.

I prefer for the groundie to slack the line and "land the piece". If it has to run all the way, I will use a redirect low through a pulley so he is out of the LZ and the gear takes less abuse by impact.
Redirect with MA of a Z rig is the norm for us anyway... You can lift and swing more with the set up.

So you use a lot of MA to get it tight, then keep it tight with e.g. a porta wrap, then slack it when needed? Makes sense.

What about that question I had re SL tied in high, limb is low on tree. Is it just an eyeball judgement as to whether the slack/belly in the speed line will be acceptable once the limb is cut free? If unacceptable then you have to tie the SL lower=closer to the limb?

In the vid of Reg's SL, I was surprised to see little to no trunk movement when the SL took the weight. Just a sturdy stem, I guess.

I never said I didn't like it. I said I didn't use it. Tons of stuff I like, but don't use. Like electric toothbrushes, and cocaine.

How do you slack it off when it is coming down, then? Isn't there a toothed cam somewhere in your 4-1? Or is it just a 4-1 where you are holding the tension with your grip?

If you add the prussic/cam.. you do a speed line with a control line and slow the speed... Vector the landing as well if needed...
If you just hold with out the capture, cut smaller if needed, you can let out the slack as necessary. But there has to be good communication and you have to go small enough for the 4-1. But a 160# guy can lift some pretty good weight and land it with a 4-1. Just let out the rope as needed. He can land it on zip or speed line so long as you cut appropriately.

Back