Something old that you have that you like

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are some beautiful restorations on the Farmall and truck, only lots of hours put in can do that

I have this old blacksmith made utensil that was used to hang a kettle above the open fire in in a Japanese farmhouse. The device could adjust distance from the heat so as to regulate cooking. The hook slides on it's rod and can elongate by about 25 inches, adjusted by moving the horizontal piece that allows the the rod to slide, or bites down on it to hold in place wherever you want. All the fittings are very cleanly made, and the hook can turn on the shaft. Some excellent work, and there is a nice patina on the steel from the smoke and being handled. These were made in varying designs, this one having a bit more precision than most I have seen, and works very nicely. I have it hanging above the wood stove in my shop.

The other photo is an old English drawknife. From where I obtained it when doing chair work there myself, I know that it was used for chairmaking, and that is pretty much what I still use it for as well. Not so much life left in the blade, it had been used a lot before I found it, but it still takes a keen edge and holds it well. Stamped in the steel is the date, 1913, and the name Sorby. Sorby is the highly recognized name of a company that made, I think still makes woodworking tools in Great Bratain. You can see that the right handle has been worn almost completely flat from originally being round. Someone sure liked using this tool.

Attachments

• hangar.jpg
    hangar.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2
  • hangar1.jpg
    hangar1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 2
  • drawknife.jpg
    drawknife.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2
Robert Sorby is still going strong, Jay.

I have bought some turning tools from them.

I thought so Stig, I think I bought one of their turning gouges as well in the past.

Browning M2HB.
Receiver is from the 1930's and the rest of it is made up from Various parts.Some are modern.

Attachments

• 50M2right.jpg
    50M2right.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 5
My guess would be that having a nice gun like that is against the rules in Norway?

So, you pull back that lever and it fires until the lever bottoms out again? How many shots between lever pulls?

1951 Farmall Super C

After:
5673613195_b592a4403a.jpg

Exactly like the one that ran me over as a kid. Dont stand on the draw bar and expect to hold on with a arm looped around a small bar:|:
I love old things and have a good collection one that tops my list is my dads 1967 chevelle Conv. Not this car but the same. 1967chevellecnvt081505.jpg
And gramps flippin coin (pigs head and arse) that will reside in my pocket once I assure myself I can hold on to the same marble for five yrs August 17th.

I just thought of something else which is highly important to me. I've only had the one on my keychain for 6 years but it seems like a lifetime. I quit getting new ones every year because I quit going to AA, but I still try to use what I learned there on a daily basis. My one year medallion was passed on to a sponsee, just as these three medallions were passed on to me on my anniversaries.

Bump......

Something I came across that was written by my Sister right before college.
She is 5 years my Jr.

The Tree House

By Kirsten C.

The tree, a medium sized shade tree with broad climbable limbs, stood directly in my path. I stopped and gazed up into it, yearning to climb upon it's outstretched arms and to dangle from it's branches.
My childhood was spent in a huge ash tree surrounded by an ivy moat. My older brother and I built platforms in the tree and closed ourselves off from the outside with brilliant bedsheets and old plastic shower curtains. You could see our colorful castle from quite a distance away. My brother would have his friends to the tree house and would send me to the highest point of the tree. Posting me there as lookout, I would warn of any approaching adults and any such neighborhood children deemed undesirable by my brother.
I can fondly recall many lunches taken in the tree, and many in between meal snacks, unknown to my mother, taken from the kitchen and consumed under the cover of those billowing tree house walls. Sometimes uneaten potions were locked in a suitcase , saved in the tree house for another day. Most often, however, these tasty left overs were forgotten and they quickly became candidates for school science experiments.
We had a special branch to swing from that was just the right thickness to support us, but still flexible. Whipping our bodies until we swung high and then let go to sail through the air and land in the deep ivy. We tore so many shirts and ripped holes in the knees in most all our pants, that we kept our mother at the sewing machine where she developed creative patching techniques and new styles of shorts.
The ash tree is still in our front yard, but there isn't even a hint of the tree house left. When my father tore what was left of the tree house down, my mother cried. Now the only time I notice the tree, is when it drops all it's seed pods on my clean car. My brother moved out of state.
So here is this tree begging me to climb it. I am not completely unaware of the people passing by and staring at me. And as I look down at my clean white shorts that I'm wearing, I shake my head and walk away from the tree. Mom doesn't do my laundry or sewing for me anymore.

I guess she entered this in an essay contest and it was published. I should probably call her and invite her to climb with me sometime :) Good memories.

An excellent story. You were the mastermind who decided who was unworthy or undesirable to mingle with...hahaha. She is a good writer. Interesting that you have stayed so in touch with trees all these years.

I loved climbing trees as a kid... Even as a young adult... Just never thought of it as a career choice LOL.
Looking back and comparing how I felt in trees as a kid, it makes sense to me now. As an adult, however, I climb much safer now :)
Except the saw part

Really great writing skills there.
She should be writing books.

I know what you mean about climbing safer now.
We had a treehouse in a tree that was knocked slightly out of plumb by a storm, so it leaned over the railroad tracks.
So we could hang out in the tree and look directly down on the passing trains.
This was a small one track private line, and one of the last to use steam, so in the mid 60es we could sit up there and get hit by the cloud of coal smoke and sparks as the train passed under us.
Great fun, but it kind of makes me cringe to think back on it now!

I can relate to that. I had this fruitless mulberry over the street out in our front yard as a kid.. I would lay out on a branch as far out as I could get and watch the cars speed by under me. I think back and wonder... what was I thinking? Or climbing the cliffs at the beach ..... Oh boy, the stuff I did not think twice about.

Drill braces..ha! You don't have an old English wooden one with the fancy brass inlay? Beautiful!

Back