Some new pics and video for a new year

50 people in one year? I can't imagine such a thing.

Butch: You aren't from New Jersey. Man, I've heard stories from those East Coasters that would make your head spin.

Jamin: Nice job on the Silver (Sugar?) Maple. Man, you guys have got some spread-out pigs to deal with back there. That pig looks like it would have sucked. Well done. True story: This guy (logger turned arbo) was working w/ his brother when he accidentally plunked him in the head with a VERY small, little limb, but from pretty high up. "Ahhh, you asshole!"--type joking-around ensues. Next thing you know (my buddy knows these guys who are from right around here in Ravensdale) the plunked guy passes out in the bathroom the next morning getting ready for work. Idiot redneck won't go to the doctor despite family's pleas. Next thing you know--dead of a brain hemorrhage. You tell me how it cld have happened without giving him a serious concussion, but, apparently, it did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have already made it clear got one more video I made this will be the last vid you c with guys not wearing helmets.

I bought last year helmets for every one as well as chaps and eye and ear protection so i started making the guys leave safety stuff in cubbies next to clock in sheets. made it clear no ppe no work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaEr32mWz4

When you are manually rigging limbs with 2 points of attachment for the bull rope, do you prussic in a little tag line to the bull rope to serve as 1 leg of the spider leg or do you add 2 spider legs to the tip of the bull rope? I couldn't tell from the vids

i attacch 1 leg mostly to rope by way of a prusik. Depends where my rigging is, so after my cut it doesnt come back at me. On longer pieces I attach 2 or 3 if needed to the tip, if I am tying to steer the limb I attach to rope, not tip, it really depends on what i'm trying to make that piece(cut) go or do

Maybe check out some retired guys for a tree work crew. I work with a few and they are no slouches, want to work and appreciate it, and even know how to tell time. One dude never seems to get tired, it is strange and can almost piss you off. "What do I do next....what do I do next?" :lol:

Gotta friggin love guys like that.

Thanks, Jamin, I'll have to try that.

I help a friend , do some climbing for him here and there and he has 1 older guy who works for him and he outworks his crew of guys who are half his age

That piece at 1:49 of the vid, did that go a bit wild when it released off the cut, looks quite butt heavy. Did you cut it from the bucket, then swing away, then slack the rope a bit to get it moving, or what? Just curious.

try to keep the whole system knotless If you take heavy pieces like I sometimes do that knot can be the weakest link. I have a splice at other end of bull-rope. I will attach that to a back-bone or dmm rigging hub and then attach my spider legs(use tenex 3/8 or 1/2 tenex) make sure they have large eye splice and 'prusik' spider leg as many times as possible. I found if you dont tenex will melt , rendering spider leg unusable and youll have to cut and re-splice or buy another.

IF THIS IS HARD TO VISUALIZE I'LL MAKE SURE I GET SOME GOOD VID NEXT TIME I DO IT. NOT ALWAYS THE BEST AT EXPLAINING THINGS.

Thats the same tree from beginning of video I set my rigging at top and cut every piece from bottom using 2 ropes 3/4 bull and 7/8. Backed up crown with 5 sling to back up my pulleys at top incase of failure. I climbed I felt bucket prevented me from taking such large cuts and brought log truck.
My cameras card failed thats why i only have pictures from last day(2day job) did all the crazy shit 1st day. One of my employees started to video that cut then stopped when we needed his help.
On the vertical cut maybe 50 ft or so I used grcs to crane branch to rigging. My box cut facing rigging. Then because piece was to heavy to lift off cut i started new cut above using same technique you would use to spear a branch when piece slides off let rope run till butt hits ground to take force(wieght) off rigging on top. Th\en used grapple to grab and lay on ground or tag at top depending on situation after the piece came off.
On horizontal braches put my two ropes, one on tip, one on but. Tension slack out of rope, I used no box cut when I felt piece was cut enough maybe 80% of way I repelled out of way , down from tree and helped ground guys I only had 2 guys second day, 3 the first. The ones over the house had to add a 5:1 mechanical advantage to pull as they lowered to steer limb around tree away from house.
I felt this was faster and less work for me or i would of had to log everything down, I felt pretty confident in doing it this way. Been doing like this for years I do alot of studying about weight loads and rigging points

Backed up crown with 5 sling to back up my pulleys at top incase of failure.

What do you mean by that?

I felt this was faster and less work for me or i would of had to log everything down

Sounds like a lot of set up time but obviously you knew best, being there. Thanks for the detailed reply.

At the top were i set my pulleys (3) ( coming from the center main lead the top had 3 branches ) I attached a slings to those leads above and below pulleys so it would increase the load they can handle. Instead of all the weight pulling that branch , maybe causing it to split at Y. Basically reinforced Y branch union

All i did the first day was climb up tree set 3pulleys, cut smaller branches on way up that I could drop, set all 3 ropes and tag lines came down and cut half the tree from the ground.Had to set line for 2 other branches, did so with throw bag. Second day had to climb to cut 2 leads over house and top were rigging was. probably would of had down in 1 day but started to rain at 2:00 first day so I called it quits

Butch: You aren't from New Jersey. Man, I've heard stories from those East Coasters that would make your head spin.

Stories bro. Stories...... 50 people? We aren't retarded assholes over on the east coast. Plenty of good workers. The screening and hiring process would have to be a dismal failure.

More like a work ethics failure.
During Sandy I had to hire over 50 people and sub 2 tree companies to help me clean up 7 villages in manchester nj I constantly had to keep this number to keep up with the work load . I put ad on craigslist and hired people from around my town. No one could make it to work on time or everday. Or wanted to talk on cell phones, came to work drunk, stole gas, try to side jobs under my watch(these are co-op communities only village has to pay not homeowners) or didnt have the work ethics I needed . these were the only reasons I fired people.
I brought in a new guy everyday observed him for a few days and if he showed up at the least 5days, weekends were voluntary 'he had a job'. I did not have time for games and everybody new that. At one time I fired 22 guys in one day. at no fault but there own . I treated the hard working and loyal with nice bonuses and good pay

For the ones that were good workers they were only helping bcause they were laid off masons, landscapers etc so at the end I picked a hand full of the best and laid off rest. took me 4months to clean up all debri on ground w/ these 2 other tree companies and 50 guys another 8months to clean up hangers and dangers of less immediate actions.

I have already made it clear got one more video I made this will be the last vid you c with guys not wearing helmets.

I bought last year helmets for every one as well as chaps and eye and ear protection so i started making the guys leave safety stuff in cubbies next to clock in sheets. made it clear no ppe no work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGaEr32mWz4

Thats a Good way to do it jamin.

Back