So this is retirement? :what:

Burnham

Woods walker
First week of retirement, and the project on my to do list is to prep and then help my girl M refinish all the vertical grain 1x6 clear oldgrowth Doug fir window surrounds in the house. We're replacing the 14 windows in our home with Anderson series 100's, to take the place of the late 1980's era aluminum framed double pane windows that are beginning to show their age, after 23 years.

My good friend and house builder Tim is doing the real work...removal and installation. I'm just prettying up that wonderful woodwork, the likes of which you cannot very easily find these days, no matter how many fistfulls of dollars you have.

It's actually been really fun, not to hard and the results are rewarding.

Here's a few before pics...wear and tear from UV degaradation and some water damage.

Attachments

• new pics 7-7-12 029.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 029.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 10
  • new pics 7-7-12 028.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 028.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 8
  • new pics 7-7-12 024.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 024.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 10
  • new pics 7-7-12 023.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 023.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 9
  • new pics 7-7-12 041.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 041.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And a few showing the results of a lot of sanding work. The new finish is the next step...I'll get some pictures of that stage in a few days.

Attachments

• new pics 7-7-12 049.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 049.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 9
  • new pics 7-7-12 048.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 048.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 8
  • new pics 7-7-12 046.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 046.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 9
  • new pics 7-7-12 045.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 045.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 10
  • new pics 7-7-12 043.jpg
    new pics 7-7-12 043.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 6
good for you B, hope you enjoy yourself....and you can always hire out as an instructor or coach for giggles, grins and a handfull of cash money

Yessir...it's coming out better than I expected, think it'll look mighty pretty.

WOW!
That is some mighty fine wood, you've got there.
Reminds me of that cabin you showed me, with only one knot in the entire building.

How does Jasper respond to having you home full time.
I bet he loves that:)

I figure you'll stay pretty busy, Burnham. An old man told me once, years ago, "Son I didn't retire....I quit and came to the house. Folks that retire die!" I have noticed that trend through the years, (even though I'm not old yet, by a LONG shot:D).....I've seen people "retire", and it's like they lose their purpose in life and have nothing to live for.

You won't go wrong with the Anderson windows .The ones in this house were installed in 1973 and are as good today as the day they were put in .

Jeld Wen is another top of the line brand which is in the addition of two years ago .

If you put in cheap windows that's what you'll always have forever .Better grade you'll forget about the price years later after you've had no problems with them .

I figure you'll stay pretty busy, Burnham. An old man told me once, years ago, "Son I didn't retire....I quit and came to the house. Folks that retire die!" I have noticed that trend through the years, (even though I'm not old yet, by a LONG shot:D).....I've seen people "retire", and it's like they lose their purpose in life and have nothing to live for.

This is one of the reasons I bought my grinder. I couldn't sit around and watch a good friend melt away. He was always active until his wife passed and now has become a little sluggish. I asked if he wanted to grind stumps and his eyes lit up, of course i get all the cleanup. We need to take care of our elders.

Nice work B! Sorry for the derail. I am glad you are keeping busy.

Nice looking results from the sanding Burnham; sometimes water damage is deep enough that sanding alone doesn't suffice.
If you run out of projects we could use a hand in our antique furniture repair and refinishing department. Went to bid on a pruning of a large old oak and the lady had a three-legged oak dining room table sitting on the screen porch. Got to talking and came home with two jobs.
Renewing something that has been abused to a useable, clean, as-close-to-original-as-possible condition is rewarding.

WOW!
That is some mighty fine wood, you've got there.
Reminds me of that cabin you showed me, with only one knot in the entire building.

How does Jasper respond to having you home full time.
I bet he loves that:)

We boys are having a good time of it...though he thinks those darn sanders make way to much noise for proper contemplation of a pleasant summer's afternoon :). When I have one running he beats a retreat up to the back deck and chills, until he hears it shut off. Then he usually comes trotting down to the shop yard to visit, tail a'waggin'. Soon as I start it up again, he gives me that sorta dirty sideways look he has perfected and slowly wanders back out of close earshot...until we do it all over again :D.

I can just see it in my mind.

Jasper is just the dog for that sorta dirty sideways look:lol:

You sure got lucky with him, and he with you.

It is soo good when the right dog finds the right person to live with.:)

Truer words have never been uttered :). My father used to say that there is no better life than that of a dog in a good home...Jasper lives it, for sure:D.

Here's a few pictures of the refinish work after the sanding. Coming out pretty darn nice.

Attachments

• sling and trim 025.jpg
    sling and trim 025.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 20
  • sling and trim 021.jpg
    sling and trim 021.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 15
  • sling and trim 020.jpg
    sling and trim 020.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 13
  • sling and trim 022.jpg
    sling and trim 022.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 11
Looking good.
What kind of oil are you treating them with?

Varathane, the oil-based polyurethane Stig.

Yeah, Jerry...you and my father had the same idea.

Back