SNOW!!!

rbtree

Climbing Up
Skiing, that is!! Closing weekend at Crystal was a freaking blast. We finally got some consistent warm weather, with no snow having fallen for a couple weeks, so the corn snow developed nicely!

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UIzxYlv7WTo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a quick video with a couple clips and lots of stills, featuring my old friend Bryce, who was paralyzed 18 years ago in a paragliding accident. He has had an amazing recovery, and though he can barely climb stairs, he can ski almost as well as before. He's even done double back flips....He used to be a top mogul competitor, as well as doing a fair bit of speed skiing, attaining a top speed of 117. (The world record was just smashed again this year, and is now 158 mph!! That's way faster than freefall, thanks to the vectoring effect, like sailing a foil) Be sure to view on YT, in HD and full frame....
<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lLEEvDDpu1M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool. His outfit is like a 'where's Wally' away strip!

Good on your mate for overcoming what sounded like a horrific ordeal!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bryce isn't my only ex speed skier friend. Bob "Freaky" Freedman also hit 117, Flyin' Floyd Conradi hit 112, and Dana Meeks held the world record for a while at 127.7. A few years back, Floyd was tragically killed, while driving on the left (proper) side of the road in Britain.... by a Brit....

And Carolyn Curl was the world's fastest woman at 122--on a bike... and 143 on snow!!
http://www.speedski.com/carolyncurl.htm

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Images from the weekend are up:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rbtree/sets/72157644935623086/

Young, flashy, permagrinning ski instructor Julie, on the ~18 mile trip from Crystal to Mt Rainier Park for 5 laps of truck assisted skiing, rolled 3 fatties, which were eagerly shared by all in the cab. The evening setting sun made for great light!

14331089811_0928850f0a_o_d.jpg

My great friend Terri first came to Crystal about 1989, and did massage right at the lodge. Her business is now just in Enumclaw, 39 miles away. A mom to a 12 yr old, she is ripping this 45 degree slope as well as ever
14359848203_136f57fbd8_o_d.jpg

Back