Smartphones and Making TH Posts

Your Mobile Device

• It could look better

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm not certain .I have a KindleFire HD but I don't use it that much .When I get the time and muster up the patience I'll give it a go .

Is voting compulsory? If it is I'll have fire that Android thing up.

I like my dumb phone. On/off in a flash, makes & receives calls and it's pretty unbreakable plus I've got two spares I've got to wear out.

So I don't need Tapatalk?

Just looked up gomobi. Not really sure why they are trying to sell you that. As far as I can tell its a bit of software for creating websites that are mobile friendly, its not a piece of software thats going to magically convert vbulletin to mobile friendly.

Samsung tapatalk here and embedded videos dont show up, but I just end up watching all you wild and crazy guys on the laptop.

My first smart phone, been using it for some months now and find I check in with TTH during the day when I have time to. What would I get by using Taptalk?

I have a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0, which is basically a hand held computer, media player type of device. Standalone, no cell phone chip, so no monthly service fees. Samsung isn't selling the smaller units like mine anymore, I don't think; you need to buy something with a screen at least seven inches across from them now. My player has a Wi-Fi chip in it, though, so I can access The Tree House forum using any open public wireless hotspot, or on the home wireless network.

I can view forum threads just fine, and videos work ok, too. The one thing I have trouble with is trying to respond to any posts using my Samsung Player. I don't have or use Tapatalk. I think the problem resides with my device, and not this website. What happens is that sometimes the on-screen keyboard will cover up what it is that I'm trying to write, and I end up having to constantly scroll up or down to see what I've just written. Other times I've had it happen that after writing for a long time, and then trying to hit the "Post" button, the website acts like I never logged in at all in the first place, and a screen pops up telling me that I need to log in to do that. After I log in, all the long-winded stuff I just finished typing is nowhere to be found.

So, in conclusion, I surf just fine on The Tree House forum using my portable device, but I've pretty much given up trying to create new posts using it. I just try to remember the thread and post when I get back online with my laptop. What that means sometimes, though, is that I just never manage to get back to it, and the moment is lost. I don't know what the answer is to fix this issue; for all I know it's an Android operating system update that I need. I still love coming here and basically lurking when I know I can't effectively post. You run a terrific forum, and I'm glad to have it available.

Tim

Tim, hi. I'm using a Samsung 5 phone and have that same crowding issue as I bang out a post.
Have noticed that at the bottom of my screen an 'auto saved' notice comes up every so often. Wonder if your posts are stored and you just need to know how to access or if there is a simple setting to change for auto save.

I frequently think of this ph like you, it's a small computer.

Merle, thanks for the response. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this problem of keyboard crowding. It's also nice to know that you seem to be able to post successfully using your Samsung 5 phone. Maybe I just need to persist and push for an answer. I guess I just get frustrated, because posting works so well on a laptop or desktop computer. The advantage of the hand held computers is that they're so portable and easy to bring with you wherever you go. Also, they are "instant-on" devices, or nearly so.

Thanks for the encouragement to push for an answer with regard to the "auto save" feature of this website's posting aspect. I'll keep playing with it to try to find an answer that works.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim I use to have the timed out issue after writing. I found a way for me was to just highlight all my text typed and save it to my clipboard then of timed out I just needed to paste. I'm sure this is not the ideal fix but one way to make it work. BTW welcome to the treehouse!

That is a great tip, rskybiz; I don't know why that did not occur to me. I'll try that the next time I log on using my hand held device. Thank you.

Thanks for the warm welcome, also!

Tim

Tim B, I've had a bit of the same issue you described when I post from my phone. When I return from re-signing in my post is not there. I see there is a refresh prompt right around that same area and hitting that made a lot of imputed post come back. I'll try other things to recover more next time.
Let us know if you find anything better or maybe I will try Risk...'s method.

I don't have any viewing issues on my iPhone 5s, probably because i'm so sick and tired of having to LOG ON EVERY SINGLE TIME...:X...

Needless to say, i've only had the 5s for a week or 2, upgrading from 4s so wife and i could give our 4s' to the girls to use as IPODS. Wasn't my idea, but it was a free upgrade, and both girls got iPods from santa, so, i guess ill suffer through another learning process with a new phone..:|:

Every time i log on to site on phone, i check "Remember me" and then log on, but once i double click home button to stop apps, and later on open TH app, i have to log back in....

Anyone have that problem??

Back