SLOWLINE

Jack

Treehouser
SLOWLINE, a variation of the speedline, used to lift and run loads uphill without dragging, so, no ground damage.

The poor boys' yarder ... not for every job ... but, worked well for this one ... AND, it was fun! :D

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_7oSNMte_vo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cool application. Cool video. Wish I had the skills and time for video production. Some day.

Thanks for making that.

Did you come up with that idea on your own, or was it collective knowledge passed on to you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Pete, Sean! Tru dat ... it took longer to get the vid on YT than it did to do the job. :roll:

How did I come up with that? ... all of the above: some "collective knowledge"; some experimentation; some experience; and some head scratching ... :)

Jack, Did you have the lift tree guyed?
How I set one up is I have a block on a tag tied back as an impromptu guy line and a block at the base. Then the lift line run out to a stump up top or 'over there somewhere' where I want the wood to land and then run it through the two blocks and tied off to the mini.

No guy needed for that job. I have run a speed line through a sleeve to a ground anchor some distance away with guys. The loads I could apply with that ATV were sufficient but fairly light. And, the anchor tree was a healthy large chestnut oak. I would have preferred to have the LZ further up the hill on the road. That would have changed the dynamics quite a bit. But, an elderly couple lived at the end of the lane. So, I could not block the lane with more aggressive rigging. Anyway, that simplistic system worked better for a simple concept video, IMO.

slowline.png

So if a person were to run the lift line down from the redirection crotch to the base of the chestnut oak, there would be a lot of leverage on the CO toward the pulley,

however, if a person were to run the lift line back to another tree an equal distance from the 'back' of the base of the CO, as the liftline runs from the 'front' of the CO to the landing zone pulley, the force would compress the CO downward, without levering over on it sideways, creating somewhat of a built-in guyline for the CO.

Exactly right, Sean. I've done all three. The first worked adequately for the light loads in the video. With larger loads, I would have used the third method. However, I would still use (and have used) additional guys to stabilize the top anchor point from any side loading ... much like the multiple anchors used with a yarder. And, as mentioned in my earlier post, I'd use a sleeve in the high redirect crotch to mitigate damage.
Great diagram :)

No guy needed for that job. I have run a speed line through a sleeve to a ground anchor some distance away with guys. The loads I could apply with that ATV were sufficient but fairly light. And, the anchor tree was a healthy large chestnut oak. I would have preferred to have the LZ further up the hill on the road. That would have changed the dynamics quite a bit. But, an elderly couple lived at the end of the lane. So, I could not block the lane with more aggressive rigging. Anyway, that simplistic system worked better for a simple concept video, IMO.
Righty-o I couldn't tell how big the tree was so I ask.:beerchug:

Back