Ski Area Chairlift Evacuation

Altissimus

TreeHouser
... I have posted about this before, as a working Patroller every so often a lift breaks. Usually a slow off load using the APU is in order. When not possible we rope evac the people. Today was my third time with real life situation. I am trained to climb the lift towers and had to do so twice today to deploy lines for the belay crew.... I know it has not much to do with Trees except my background makes this pretty easy for me. Scale big ladder, shimmie the cross mast, turn left onto the sheave train...set the rigging. I had ladder snaps but in below zero weather seemed like a waste of time...snaps are bulky on the deceleration lanyards.... If I was painting I woulda clipped in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Basic Swiss Belay w / line saver and load rated evac line ( which are verry limp compared to any Arbo line)

Kinda off topic but have you ever seen the movie " Frozen". Has to do with 3 young adults getting trapped on a ski lift. I thought it was good. Right on Altissimus for being a hero to those people.

Ski Patrol is not a big payer.... specific set of job skills should fetch more but it is rewarding and the Winters here can be pretty slow for Treework.... my Mom says this a job for twenty year olds... get good at it you can make Ten Bucks / hr. Comes with some discountsfor skiing and equipment too

I watch the newbs train on the lifts up here.. Fun to watch and I yak at the vets all the time each week. So many certs so many people that have to be. Yosemite has a revolving door ..... Probably that way with most national parks. I keep kidding them about bringing my gear along just for shits and giggles. Maybe one day I will..
WTG on the rescues man... Most people have no clue about what has to go on to bring them down from 60 plus feet. The tech stuff is easy. It is the people skills in keeping the calm and orderly organized that tests the rescuer..... JMO.

You have to talk the people into the harness and the situation. From the ground, once in a great while (injuries or unattended small kids) we have to up to the chair

Back