Shindawa?

• Thread starter Widow Shooter
  • Start date
  • Replies 31
  • Views 5K
W

Widow Shooter

I fella that we take our County owned huskies to for service sells Shindawa and Clark knows saws....;)

He said he has been using the 50 cc and the 44.6cc, he likes the 44.6 better than the 50 and said that he would give me a rocking deal since they quit making it and he is stuck with 4 of them...lol
they replaced it with the 50cc which he said does not have same caliber cylinder/piston set-up as the 44.6.

I need a new saw for my groundy to buck and limb stuff, plus it is real light, so it would be sweet in the tree when needed.

here is a link, anybody use them?

3.1 HP for a 44.6 cc??? wow :D http://shindev.shindaiwa.com/can/en/products_2/chainsaws/446s.php

The guys who taught me to climb years back had one of the first shindawas that was about that size. We used to love that thing. Used to really rip and was light as heck. Worth a shot IMO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah Andy, saw that, could go either way though eh? I may get the 44.6cc just cuz i can get it for 125 bucks off :) and did you look at the date on that blog? old news buddy ;) so the 44.6 is since the merger :)

I had a couple of small shindaiwa's that came with my stuff and they were OK. My ground guy likes a 200T.

The crane operator that I usually work with has a couple older ones (might still be being made), mid to larger capacity displacement. I'd have to say that they are up there with the easiest starting and most reliable saws that I have used. They run with a smooth low vibration. Since I have only used the two, I can't comment on the other and newer models.

The power is adequate. I haven't heard of anybody modifying one, seems like there is potential.

Yeah Andy, saw that, could go either way though eh? I may get the 44.6cc just cuz i can get it for 125 bucks off :) and did you look at the date on that blog? old news buddy ;) so the 44.6 is since the merger :)

Not that old of news, my point was the saws you are looking at might not have been "tainted" yet, but I assure you the new ones will have been!

How about this little number:

357.jpg

It doesn't seem there is a loop on the back to put the saw lanyard on. I hate running it through the handle. I wonder what something like this costs...

love
nick

Echo/shindawa has a deal going on...at least here in the lower mainland. If you buy $1000 worth of equipment everything else is 20% off for a year at the same dealer.
Personally I don't like Shindawa or Echo. But who am I to say.

I've got a 357, good little saw. A bit heavy but I prefer it to a 338.

Also have a 557P, not on that list but looks like the 757 only 57cc. It's a good saw, about the same power as an 034 Stihl, I have a couple of them. Very good air filters, and they do start easy.

The 446 is a great little saw, you wouldn't go wrong buying that. I nearly bought one last year, but I don't really use that size saw much and I already have too many saws.8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

357.jpg

It doesn't seem there is a loop on the back to put the saw lanyard on. I hate running it through the handle. I wonder what something like this costs...

love
nick

It is underneath Nick, it folds in when not in use

357.jpg

love
nick

The 357 was a strong saw back when I had one. I did not like the on/off switch location, many times accidently hit it with my finger in the middle of a cut.
Jeff

shindy's are great saws, they dont burn up easy
i have a shindy string trimmer that is no longer available in ca
has more power than a string trimmer would ever need
im a husky saw guy, basically my dealer is better than the stihl dealers locally so orange it was
and i havent been let down by them yet
my groundie has choice of several 455's

FYI Echo and Shindawa are the same company. Would not say it's a deal more like a joint promotion. Good Hunting.
elg

No doubt, I believe in the near future Shindawa/echo will be serious competion for Sthil/Husky.
Stay tuned!
elg

I have a 488. For what it's worth, I've never had a lick of trouble. I guess I did have to replace the air filter when I was cutting all that osage orange, it was so hard the chips were too fine. Cutting other wood doesn't do that, but I still leave it on.

Very nicely balanced, IMHO. I'll probably be using it when I have to go out to the woodpile with a walker. :)

I haven't kept up the last year on who does what, but I find it hard to believe Echo and Shindaiwa has identical saws in their lineup.
Similar, but not the same as far as I can tell.
The corporate structure takes some time to figure out.
I do believe the importer to US is the same for both brands.

http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=CHAINSAW
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/products_2/chainsaws/index.php

Edit:
Well here you go:
http://www.shindaiwa.com/usa/en/_docs/press/pr_Shindaiwa_Echo_Merge_Operations.pdf

Learn something every day...

Yes Magnus, it's taking some time, but Shinny is slowly getting sucked up into the Echo vortex, soon to be no more!

The Shin dealer that was here has been a Husky dealer seems like 4 years now.

I have seen Echo or Shindaiwa saws sold here under a few different names. One home center model is called the "Green Machine", and obviously the same model as what was called an Echo. Based on what I see at the home front here, I don't much see them rivaling the Stihls or Huskys unless they are developing a pro user line. I'd get rid of the crap first and build a newfound image. Of course Husky has their junk at the do it yourself places as well. Newer ways to use plastic and poor balance. Maybe it is like Avril Lavinge and Robert De Niro...Bruce Willis, they appear on Japanese tv selling everything from cars to cosmetics, but probably would be horrified to do that more close to home and take the heat. It's ok to sell your soul, just do it in a far away place. Avril Lavigne got a new life after she got the right make up......so happy for her. :roll:

There is a lot of crap saws that look like something else. When you dig in them a bit you see it is totally different.

I have yet to see a crappy saw from Echo and Shindaiwa. The ones I seen have been very well built for the price they cost.
They give you plenty hrs runtime for the £€$ spent.

I get the impression that the models can vary from place to place. When there is a large number of pro users, they put out better quality equipment to satisfy the need, and when the main users are occasional firewood guys, with a tighter budget towards what they are wanting to spend for a saw, well.....

The Asian models often tend to be more oriented towards what Suzy Wong will be wanting to run, in her red dress with the slit way up the side. :O

Back