Second tie-in on removals

Koala

TreeHouser
What do you use as second tie-in on removing a spar?
I've always tied a running-bowline around the trunk with my climbing line, advancing the friction knot as far as i can.
What you guys usually do?

Either, depends on if I was using an adjustable in the tree already. I'm kinda lazy about pulling things up:dur:

A smart guy starts out with the adjustable, when he knows he is going to be blocking a spar down in the end.

I guess that doesn't describe you, Willie:P

That'll sure keep you from falling if you cut your lanyard, but doesn't offer any rappel opprtunity, does it Butch?

Adjustable, or a pulley saver. So far I am not totally sold on the pulley saver. It's nice to work off of but it's not real easy to retrieve.

I don't think you did, Butch...the question was only what you use for second tie-in, no specification that it be rappel capable...I just was making an observation.

A running bowline on your climb line works too. You just need a long tail left (past the knot) in order to shake it loose later.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham, specifications will come ....when my english gets better ;)
Lately I have been using my ropeguide instead of a bowline. Do you think that is safer in case you have to come down fast?

I use an adjustable friction saver as stated before... I often use this instead (for times I don't take one up, large canopy TDs come to mind).

Retrievable Biner Set up.jpg

And sometimes I just girth hitch the tree and use a set up like Burnam showed me at the Wraptor WCGTG. Biner with prussic on the leg strap. Not retrievable, but in an emergency while chunking a spar.. who cares? Rap out... get help. Leave rope. I use this more if I have to just gaff back down the stem after each chunk. Flip both lines down with me together.
I use my fig 8 instead of a rack like he let me try. Allows for one handed decent as well.

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 62
Yessir.... Which usually is not an issue when working down a stem for me.. I usually go 2X my top TIP in rope length as typical Ddrt and by the time I can fell a stem, 3X TIP height is pretty standard by that time.
Each situation warrants a solution that can vary. Bag O tricks needs be well stocked :)

AFC if I am going to be on the spar a good bit. If only a few cuts then I just choke my climb line.

I like the bowline with the Gri-Gri. After spending a half day working rescues off of the various climbing systems, the Gri-Gri seemed easiest. But if you were planning a long rap off the spar on a job in which you had room to drop a big pole, then the AFS is great.

That said, this was my first rescue course, I'm sure Burnham has more experience with the various systems and rescue methods.

I like a running bowline with gri gri, or now Rope Wrench. I'll also use an adjustable friction saver. I like fall arrest on a spar. I more much faster when I don't have the concern about sliding down the stem. I gaff in lightly, too. Easy in, easy out.

Is there a way to tie in with a SRT system that is self recoverable from the ground on a takedown?
As I have looked at SRT, take downs are one place I do not see an advantage other than faster to get into the tree. Am I missing some thing?

When you're ready for your final descent, you can either send your working end through a crotch and down for a base tie-off, or pull up your tail to tie to your RBline in order to uncinch it after descent.

I used to use a adjustable FS, but since I switched to SRT, just tie a running bowline. If I want to retrieve it, I either tie a running bowline with a long tail, or just clip the tail of my rope to it and uncinch it that way.

Back