Safebloc info

Lawrence, (Phanner man here) has put tons of serious time on it.

I don't think he is posting here a bunch yet. If you look at his youtube vids you can see what he is getting out of it.

i traded some work for a prototype model from the X-Man himself and got to test it for about a year before it came out.still using that same one all the time. It's awesome, it's well worth it, very useful and makes things way safer. it wont replace a lowering device for much heavier chunks or negative rigged things (which you should do any way with any device because that puts too much strain on a much shorter portion of the rope) but you can self lower reasonable sized stuff or take over the rope while the groundie handles it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the response. Sounds like something I'm looking for. Basically I want to use it on stuff less the 150-200 pounds. Hoping it will help the groundie with letting the rope run a bit more without a lower device. Maybe that little bit of friction the safebloc provides will be enough.

i'm gonna guess with weights that small you're probably rigging mostly with 1/2" line, yeah? if that's the case, as long as you're not negative rigging stuff, you can self lower or have the groundie lower pieces a bit above the 200lb mark. since the Safebloc creates more friction against larger ropes surfaces, the bigger the rope, the more friction. but if you're just using 1/2" and you're not ever rigging heavier than the 200lb mark maybe all you need is just a tiny porta-wrap. i use one all the time for a bunch of light duty, 1/2" line, type stuff

Me Too !!! Ordering one for use in the Tree on both ends of weight spectrum. Great for smalls instead of a wrap on limb or spar , when we have GRCS out taking bigs use as a second for true drift line.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anybody see any good videos of the portawrap being used in the tree?

I have used the small porty in the tree, but I like the medium much better. I used it Monday to lower some 500-600# limbs.

It's a good idea, but the device doesn't appear to be mid-line attachable, or have a way to lock-off the line. Or am I missing something?

With all the conifers here, mostly second-growth and nothing really heavy, I natural-crotched practically every limb in every wreck job I did over 40 years. In it all I did glaze a few rope, I will admit, but I never broke one.

It's a good idea, but the device doesn't appear to be mid-line attachable, or have a way to lock-off the line. Or am I missing something?

With all the conifers here, mostly second-growth and nothing really heavy, I natural-crotched practically every limb in every wreck job I did over 40 years. In it all I did glaze a few rope, I will admit, but I never broke one.
the Safebloc is not meant to be a stand alone lowering device, it's main purpose really is to reduce the forces at the rigging point by creating friction through weaving the rope in it when you're negative rigging something. this force reduction comes especially in handy in tall, or skinnny, or dead, or comprimised, or "...in a nustshell, bad trees." :) the guy on the ground is still gonna need a porta-wrap or other lowering device for heavier stuff but he'll take less wraps and the climber will experience less movement (if the groundie doesn't snub it off) and the tree will see less peak forces.

also since you're negative rigging with it you're at the end of you're line anyways so it not being midline attachable isn't that big of a deal.

now the device does create enough friction that you can self lower smaller limbs or the groundie can pass the line to the climber to control after he manages the initial force (ex: smaller negative rigged pieces) so he can maneuver while the climber then lowers, but these are just added little bonuses and not the primary purpose.

all that being said, there aint nothing wrong with weaving and wrapping around a few stubs to get the job done, just a lil rougher on the rope ;)

...haven't ordered Small yet , now you have me thinking Medium

I've used the small, but it hockles the rope pretty bad, especially on long runs. With the medium, three wraps will float a fair sized limb easily with 9/16" line.

I have a tiny porty that I have no use for. Picked it up many years ago to self lower but never really quit making lowering devices out of the limbs around me.
73a7db4f6f3d25355f9ebc6f99ea77ed.jpg

Cool man , message me here or text 802 464 7278 , let me know how much you want for it and addresses. Thanks , wanted one for a few years now.

Back