CMI rope jack.

Treeaddict

Treehouser
This thing would have really come in handy on quite a few occasions. We’d have not pulled the com lag out at my parents house if we had it. It seems like it definitely has its place. Anyone use it?

I was thinking of this when you mentioned the ropejack before. With two people on the ground it would be especially easy, but it's doable with one. Put a prusik on the downline of the rigging rope. Attach a pulley to it that has some kind of lower becket. Anchor a short second line to the becket, run it through another pulley that's anchored to the top hoop on the porty, then up and through the prusiked pulley on the line. One person can haul on that to remove slack, while the second wraps the porty to maintain progress. Once it's tensioned, the stuff can be removed from the rope. Cost is either ~$75 to buy everything new, or free if you already have the stuff. I already have the stuff.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking of this when you mentioned the ropejack before. With two people on the ground it would be especially easy, but it's doable with one. Put a prusik on the downline of the rigging rope. Attach a pulley to it that has some kind of lower becket. Anchor a short second line to the becket, run it through another pulley that's anchored to the top hoop on the porty, then up and through the prusiked pulley on the line. One person can haul on that to remove slack, while the second wraps the porty to maintain progress. Once it's tensioned, the stuff can be removed from the rope. Cost is either ~$75 to buy everything new, or free if you already have the stuff. I already have the stuff.
But it’s a lot to set up. Rope jack is easy on and off.

The speed of the ropejack is because they use ascenders, you can hang any mechanical advantage you wanted from one too. You can use a chain come along, same thing but bigger, you can even use a winch. A simple block and tackle works too, and maybe look into a rbs knot for a quicker attachment than a regular friction hitch of you didn't want to use an ascender, which has a tendency to destroy rope when serious loads are applied. I thought about getting one when they first came out, but then realized i had all sorts of pulling gear, and usually use my sailboat winch bollard thing if i have to lift much. You should be able to sweat a bunch of the slack out in a couple seconds tho, for most stuff that's all you need. Here's a video of it, but you can do it solo too obviously, ideally with progress capture of some kind.

Back