RopeTek Integrated Communication System

Mine is mounted on the back of the helmet and piped by wire to the muffs and mikes. Ropetek set up.

Attachments

• IMG_20150416_114340878.jpg
    IMG_20150416_114340878.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 45
Ok, so I was asked today...doesn't the noise of your saw get transmitted to the other people on the ground through the ear
muffs???

I love the systems, and can't imsgine working without them.

I get nervous. I watched, as one of Ashly's friends, went from gorgeous energetic cheerleader, to unrecognizable as a result of a brain tumor. Then passing 10 months later.

Maybe i can wear a tin foil bonnet

Ok, so I was asked today...doesn't the noise of your saw get transmitted to the other people on the ground through the ear
muffs???

Not really, the mic is noise cancelling so it's pretty quiet. I had a phone conversation while running a saw when I first got mine, the person on the other end f the call said it sounded like someone was running a machine in the distance.

The boom mic actually has a tiny mic on the front, sounds picked up by that are cancelled out, and only sound from the main mic which faces you are transmitted.

Peter, I had a setup like yours first and it drove me crazy as the helmet was lopsided. You need the SMH10 with "universal" mic so the unit can be mounted centrally on the back of the helmet.

muffs???

Yes. And depending on the saw and it's mods, you will need to turn down the volume. I find that only having one ear muff on and one off also helps. Dead wood in the chopper is a bit piercing at times.

We usually go "mute" when making excess noise.
It is just a press of a "button" then you're back on.

We did a huge ash in cramped quarters last week ( After being blown out of it the week before!) and afterwards got to talking about how much yelling that used to entail B.S.

Peter, I had a setup like yours first and it drove me crazy as the helmet was lopsided. You need the SMH10 with "universal" mic so the unit can be mounted centrally on the back of the helmet.

Doesn't bother me. The vertex fits me quite well anyway, and I tend to keep that muff down permanently.

I have tried it on the back, but went back to this. It's my third sena, been using them for a few years now.

I just watched Treestuff 'a video on how to link them so that's one question answered. I was wondering how they are attached to the helmet itself. Is there a universal clip that slips over the bottom lip of the helmet or hard hat? Another question is do I have to tap the button everytime I want to talk or once they're on and linked do we just talk like we're in a conference call. I just made a strong argument to the boss and got approval for five( gonna try for six). I know only four can be used at once but we seldom have more than a three man crew.
I know these are a game changer and have been after them for a while. I'm also curious if I have to resync them often or just when helmet A leaves the group.

Once they are on and synced you can talk & hear until you turn them off or get out of range.

We only run 2 so can't answer your other questions sorry.

You may or may not have to resync them when someone leaves the group, it depends on the pairing order. If you know someone is going to leave the group during the day make sure they are the last person to be paired when setting them up. If you have four people synced then everyone one needs to sign on in the order they are paired.

Easier to leave them connected when you have a 3-4+. Not necessary. If taking a break, just take off the helmet. Same for moving a vehicle. Turn the volume down if distance makes static, like the guy repositioning the truck, doing a lap around the block. Could also take off the helmet and leave at the job site when your running a number of them.

Full duplex means it sounds like a cell phone conference call. Everyone is heard all the time. When one guy is just bucking wood, he clicks out, and back in.

As always, it's better to address who you want to speak to, wait until you have their attention, then converse.

What is really good I'd that anyone can interrupt with a pressing safety concern, unlike walkie talkies.

They make money through efficiency and coordination.

I've paired two with each other, and another two together. Crane operator and me, and then two groundie together. Groundie can always call me on my cell phone. One button push answered the call. Groundie hand up call. One button push to reconnect, out if auto connected back to Crane Op. I forget which.

No going back to yelling.

I can give a new guy to anything in my truck from far, far away. One trip to the truck instead of returning from a walk to the truck for something forgotten at the time of the individual request for gear. While groundie is at the truck, they can ask clarifying questions, like which bag, or what else do you need while I'm here at the truck (gear, food, water, clothing).

I'm thinking of pairing them at times also. I don't want to hear all about how much they drank the night before. Me and the rope man and I the occasion we have extra help the others can argue with each other on the best way to drag and feed with out screaming. It would be nice if I could say a name and the conversation would only go to who I wanted. I'm gonna have to watch what I mumble under my breath now.

Back