Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Chris, I got an advance excerpt of the TCIA SRT guide at the ISA conference. Looking forward to fine tuning my SRT skills, and learning it for working the tree as well.

Thanks rb. Everyone has been working really hard to get this SRT Manual out there and I think that you guys will really love it.

The HH was a big hit at the workshop a few weeks ago, that's for sure.

Valdôtain vs. Valdôtain Tresse (VT)

Excerpts from an article, An Overview of Climbing Hitches by Mark Adams, in Arborist News (October 2004, pp29-35): link

... When tied with a single length of rope or webbing, the French Prusik is called a Valdôtain or a Valdôtain tresse, again depending on how it is formed. ...
... When first formed, the Valdôtain is simply a series of turns around the climbing line. ...
... When the Valdôtain tresse is formed, it is a series of turns and braids. ...
... The Valdôtain tresse (also called the Vt) ...

Please refer to the link above for the complete explanation.

BTW FWIW:
The Valdôtain are an ethnic group that lives in the far northwest Aosta Valley Autonomous Region of Italy.
Tresse” means “braid” in French

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 8.08.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-06 at 8.08.23 AM.png
    214 KB · Views: 33
I have to maintain that from as close an examination as I can make, the different nomenclature of the hitches in those two photos Jack has posted seem totally arbitrary. To my eye, the left has one braid and the right has two.

Y'all are of course free to dismiss my opinion :). I shall personally continue with my own interpretation...which amounts to a tiny molehill beside the knot terminology mountain :D.

I confess to have tilted at a few windmills in my life, before this one :lol:.

Can anyone really maintain with a straight face that this hitch Benn has shown does not finish with a single braid? I'll go to my grave positive that it does...just as Paul's HH hitch does.

Adrian, I respectfully disagree.

Pretty darned stubborn, ain't ya?:lol:

What I think Adrian is saying, is that the Valdotâin is not TIED with any braids, it simply braids itself when loaded, Whereas The VT must be braided when tied. You can easily tie a Valdotâin without crossing the cord.

As for you not having heard the term Valdotâin used without the tresse suffix is simply because you live in the wrong place.

Here, closer to the geographic origin of the knot, the term is used, though not frequently.
When I studyed for my climbing certificate almost 30 years ago, the teacher made a clear distinction between the two.

Apparently it hasn't, during those long years, made it's way to the dark, isolated corner of the PNW where you reside.:P

Truth be told, Burnham, Denmark has Oregon beat , darknesswise, at least in winter and we do damp and muddy pretty good too.

Can't seem to grow tall trees, though!

:D

I base my position in large part on the premise basic to tying any knot...that is, it is not completed until it has been tied, dressed, and SET. Setting is loading, and there is no way to really load a friction hitch without placing weight on it, as it's designed to loosen and grab alternately. So, if in the setting, you get a braid, then you have tied a VT.

I can be very stubborn. All the hounds of hell, going back 30 years into knot tying history and climbing instructors, won't change my mind on this one. But again, I don't think that means much to the world at large :D.

Most of our arguments here don't, but as long as we are having fun and getting a bit more knowledgeable all is good:)

This is a a good discussion. Almost feels like we are talking about the difference between coke and pepsi... :)

You really think Coke tastes like crap? Since it is estimated that 1.2 billion, 8 ounce servings are consumed every day in the world, I wonder how much would be drunk if it tasted good???

I'd like to see another good view of the Cooper's knot. Where'd it come from?

I'll snap a few pics tomorrow. Sam Cooper posted it in a fb group, no one could find it anywhere so people just started calling it the cooper hitch.

Here is the cooper. Ran it today, loved it, smoothest hitch yet with the hh, whole set up runs like butter. I'm working on a video of a few knots I'll throw up weather permitting tomorrow.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347061813.263211.jpg

It must advance better than it looks like it would. I'd think it would have a significant fall back factor before grabbing.

Thanks for posting, A. I'm going to play with that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yup Adrian, as well as it advances it must have a significant setback as B says. That to me is a game stopper.

Have you tried the french prussic / Valkilmer whatever it is hitch??? Does it not release as well as you want??? Feedback man.

Back