Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Double overhand for sure, just not fully dressed like they have stated.

As for the friction hitch, I'd go with a 5:1 VT as well. The cross is basically a braid like they have mentioned already.

And x2 on the money. Do we need to send it too you to reserve one?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nah, if yaal send money Im going to have so many drunk days Ill never get these things built.....

A french prussic or english prussic is a girth hitch with extra tucks. Commonly known as simply a 'prussic' its the most basic friction knot whether there are 2, 3, or 4 wraps.

The first one is definitely a 5-1 VT, you wrap fives time (coil) and braid once. Whether the cord terminates to to stopper knots tight eyes or whatnot the end result is the same.

I think it is the knot known as a Valdotain.

Not to be confused with valdotain tresse or VT, since it doesn't have any braids.

I seem to remember Jerry B. saying once that he used it for years as his prime climbing knot.
He just didn't use the french name for it.

A french prussic or english prussic is a girth hitch with extra tucks. Commonly known as simply a 'prussic' its the most basic friction knot whether there are 2, 3, or 4 wraps.

The first one is definitely a 5-1 VT, you wrap fives time (coil) and braid once. Whether the cord terminates to to stopper knots tight eyes or whatnot the end result is the same.

there might be regional differences in names, but it is NOT a VT.

I think Stig has it nailed :)

Stig indeed has it nailed. I climbed off this same hitch, expect with 7 wraps. 7 wraps upward and back into the dogbone. The bottom wrap works its way down into a braid, forming what looks like a 6:1 VT, but in reality is a 7 wrap valditorian.

If it ends up with a braid, then why is it not a VT?

Frankly, I never heard of a valdotain without the tresse appelation added, so what do I know.

Sure looks like Paul crosses the turns with the final leg, seems like a braid to me. In which case, :P.

But people have argued about what knot is called what since long before Ashley was in knee pants, so no surprise that this discussion is similar.
:)

Yes i agree on a valdotain, that is what I use every day, just 5 wraps and back to the crab.

I am really lookin fwd to the HH, can I be on any sort of list you got going toooooo???

Attachments

• p1010513h.jpg
    p1010513h.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 30
Mistahbenn, does your hitch tend to twist the rope below the hitch as you rappel?

A valdotain is just a prussic cord wrapped upwards around the rope any number of times, and then brought back down to the crab or dogbone or whatever. The user does not braid the knot as one does with the VT, but the way the knot collapses when weighted creates what appears to be a VT. Dress it up nice and tidy tho, and remove the weight, and the braid goes away and it goes back to just a 7 or however many wraps you have on the line valdotain. With a VT, even when you dress it up it's still a VT, you can't unbraid it so its just wraps and not a combination of wraps and braids without removing one end of the prussic cord from termination.

Yes i agree on a valdotain, that is what I use every day, just 5 wraps and back to the crab.

I am really lookin fwd to the HH, can I be on any sort of list you got going toooooo???

Can anyone really maintain with a straight face that this hitch Benn has shown does not finish with a single braid? I'll go to my grave positive that it does...just as Paul's HH hitch does.

Adrian, I respectfully disagree.

Burnham, I do not add braids, or dress my knot, I simply add 5 wraps, then back to the carabiner. As RD says, the knot may change appearance naturally under load...

(maybe im getting in toooo deep.... ) hehe :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
B Im not very good with Knots:|: and know you are, however I always assumed a tress was where you wrapped the cordage around the rope below the wraps???

Whatever you should have something in the mail soon to ponder upon.

Burnham, I do not add braids, or dress my knot, I simply add 5 wraps, then back to the carabiner. As RD says, the knot may change appearance naturally under load...

(maybe im getting in toooo deep.... ) hehe :)

You add a single braid by crossing over the bottom leg of the cord to attach to the opposite side of the carabiner.

As I said, I never heard the term valdotain used alone.

Paul, it's my position that you are doing exactly that with your hitch. And I'll watch the mailbox with great anticipation, my friend.

I'm a little late to this discussion....but, as I've been using a Valdotain, VT or french prussik since it was first introduced back around 1997, I'll chime in on what I understand of the terminology and method of forming the hitch. A Vt requires a braid...and for years, most arborists tied a 4 wrap, three braid version, which weaves the crosses over and under. What Paul tied is known as a simple French Prussik. Or perhaps a Valdotain....That term stems from the region of France that was home to the climber (s?) who introduced the hitch.

Personally, I tie my hitch both with or without the braid...and will go either 4-3 or 4-2....which may end up as 3-3..if it is just several wraps..as Paul's 5-1, depending on the amount of
excess cord, will end up as a 4-2 or 3-3 when dressed or weighted. Also, for a while, i only had a 24" 10mm, which was way too short and fat even on Blaze, so it forced me to use a 3-2 configuration.

Adrian, I like the look of your cooper hitch...may have to try it...does it work well with a 30 inch cord? I have a 30" OP, in 8 mm, which is unused and I was planning on returning it to Wesspur for a shorter length, 24 to 28". I'd keep it if I could as it is spliced normally, rather than with the bulky Grizzly.

Chiming in here for the first time to express a desire for a HH....I've resisted, as I use the Wraptor for most all ascents, and do more work in conifers, where I'm not sure I'd want to use SRT to advance to a high tie point, or take the time to thread the end back to the bottom to be tied off....

Chris, I got an advance excerpt of the TCIA SRT guide at the ISA conference. Looking forward to fine tuning my SRT skills, and learning it for working the tree as well.

Good one Dave! Ah,, Larry Penberthy! One of the many early PNW gear and technique pioneers and innovators. I still have an MSR ice axe, his helmet was my first.....and I got the yet to be beat MSR stove way back in 1974 or so.
Another iconoclast was Bill Nicolai who started Early Winters. I still have my first sleeping bag, and down jacket, both EW, but more notably, as Bill was the first to incorporate Gore-Tex fabric in his products, I have what I believe is the 16th Gore-Tex item ever made, the superb 3.5 lb Light Dimension tent. Of course, the first generation GT didn't work for long, so it did leave me soggy a few times!!

Back