Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Looking at the stopper knot again...may be a double overhand that you haven't collapsed completely. I need to dig out a piece of rope...damn this hip and the distance to the shed :(.

Found a piece of cord in the junk drawer...I think it is a double overhand, after all. Just not pushed over into the normal form, which looks rather like a scaffold knot.

I agree, B ... save you the trip. I tied it and you're right it is a double overhand that hasn't been "collapsed completely." It's an undressed {naked} double overhand. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
B it is not a double stopper, as the tail exits at 90 degrees from standing end . Also I dont buy the hitch being a VT as you dont cross over the rope below the wraps just go straight to the dog bone. Im thinking maybe there isnt a name for it as it is specific to the HH application. Maybe a HH stopper and a HH hitch.....

I disagree on both counts, Paul. But you can call them whatever you wish :).

If you go ahead and properly dress your stopper knot, it will exit parallel to the line. And you're crossing over, that is braiding, to get to the other end of the dog bone.

Grapevine/fishermans/scaffold has to capture something inside the loop at the termination end. This stopper does not.

This is a perfect example of what Jerry talked about in another thread about information dissemination...it is instructive to be able to watch y'all ponder and dissect a topic (knots here) verbally and then with a flow of pictures...all that got started from a video. Very cool.

... Im thinking maybe there isnt a name for it as it is specific to the HH application. Maybe a HH stopper and a HH hitch.....

Paul, the hitch you are using most closely resembles a Klemheist and should perform in a similar manner. Because the tails are short and trapped by the dogbone and also not tucked like most VT's it should hold its shape and be resistant to forming a tresse braid. I like it. I have no clue what to call the stopper knot but I believe knots should be called by their dressed and finished shape in use not by the twist and turns of their forming.

Dave

http://www.animatedknots.com/klemheist/index.php

Back