Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Dave, what type of bolt do you recommend as a dogbone? I'm eager to streamline, and hope to get another bit of pruning in over the next couple of days.

Dave, what type of bolt do you recommend as a dogbone? I'm eager to streamline, and hope to get another bit of pruning in over the next couple of days.

Go for it, Sean. At least grade 5 but I like grade 8. I don't have mine with me at the moment ( it's way out in the truck ) so take your HH with you to insure proper size and fit. Use a nylock nut and fender washers and make sure there are no threads under the hitch eye. The bolt grip should stop so that it does not bind or stop the HH and hitch cord from rotating freely. Also remember that locknuts are only meant to be tightened once.

The improvement in performance by losing the top carabiner and pulley is dramatic.

Dave

Some of the mechanical rope grabs use a nylock nut to secure the cam pin, but I have never seen a caution mention of their only one time use......I have wondered about it though.

Two minor mentions after using the HH yesterday.

1) a plus of this SRT device, like the unicender, is that it is ready to descend immediately, in all situations. The Rope Wrench had the occasional situation (that is in most situations, it not an issue) where you need to engage the wrench before being able to descend. The situation that comes to mind is when a RW climber were to be resting mid ascent with full weight on the hitch, as the RW is in the disengaged (slack tether) position. Should an emergency arise (hornet nest), the climber will have to get weight off of some hitches in order to break it free.

2) I need to try out some different hitch cord/ rope combos to see what works best. I was still having some trouble getting the right wrap variation on the distel tied with Ice on PI. Consequently, when tailing the rope, I had too much friction for as smooth of tailing as should be possible, and the lower 'biner was getting caught up in the HH, snagged up on the gate of the oval biner. I don't know if a corner trap would be a solution to this, and how well it would work with the way the 'biner gets slipped through the HH. I've recently tried rubber dogbone corner traps, which are not very durable. I have a metal one to try, but haven't yet.

... and the lower 'biner was getting caught up in the HH, snagged up on the gate of the oval biner...

Can you explain what you mean by this, or take a picture. When I advance the Hitch Hiker by hand I will hold onto the lower carabiner and push it up into the HH and hitch so that all three move as one and stay in the same oreintaion to the rope. When on a rope walker ascent or spurring up a stock the lower carabiner folds up against the hitch, pulling the hitch and HH up. In either mod there is no snagging or binding of the carabiner.

100_4342-1-1.jpg

041612004-1.jpg

I really like the simplicity and ruggedness of this tool.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought some ICE to try and yes it sure is grabby which is good as you shouldn't go into a free fall however it does make it harder to advance. I also got some 10mm beeline and that stuff seems to work great. Should mention I haven't had time to climb on it yet but I think its going to work good. SST Im going to forward DMC your address so he can send you a dog bone and some 8mm beeline. Ranger I will give you one at the comp.

I think the dogbone will help a lot.

I think the two biners and pulley make it sloppy with the length of Ice a was using. I will try it tied with shorter legs. dialing in a hitch system is always important. short climb yesterday.

I have some new 8mm bulk beeline and used spliced 8mm (length unknown off the top of my head) beeline. I'll try both.

Look forward to the dogbone! Thanks.

I can't wait until I can buy one. I would be happy to put one to the test if you need more hands on.

If you go back to post #230 you can see them in the pics. You will still need to use a steel carabiner because of the small contact points on the side plates. The bushings are just some 1/2" by 1/2" chrome spacers I found at the hardware store. They do not seem to make much difference in the way the Hitch Hiker functions but I thought would be a better point of wear than the bolt and carabiner.

Please remember, I am experimenting with things on my particular HH setup. What I do may have no relevance to what Paul ends up producing. I just like to play around with stuff.

Dave

Talking about experimentation, heres on of mine from friday. Expensive Z drag!!!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 62
the line exiting the vt to the right... where does it go? Is it just a 2:1 rigged to the HH and a single strand load line?

I feel like the guy in the pic, not sure what i am looking at.

Hard to see in the picture but its just a HH with I believe a 4/2 distal rope goes around an anchor tree and then back through the biner on the HH and Robby is pulling working end. Z drag to pull over spar with back lean.

And me, I feel like a dog watching a bone !

I have a big amounts of unread threads and I just discovered this one.:boogie:
Amazing.
It's exactly what I would like to find to improve my climbing gear.
What a clever idea.:notworthy:

I received the dogbone and hitch cord, but unforetunately, it is slightly too tight to fit the upper hole in my prototype. The later versions must be slightly bigger.

I can file the opening slightly to enlarge, with your permission, Paul. If that is okay, what is my best bet with the type of steel that its made from? Bastard file, angle grinder, making sure not to overheat it?

Back