Ropetek Hitch Hiker

Dave, in Photograph 10 (6-wrap Valdotain), is that tied correctly? ?

I think it is tied correct enough though not as I would tie it. I will tuck the first braid after the wraps so that the braids spin in the opposite direction of the wraps. This seems to counter the hockling tendencies of the VT.

Dave

Maybe so, but in every photo/instructional I remember seeing, the ends were "braided" as in reversing order...one on top, then the other.

The VT has many faces and now you will be able to remember at least one photo where it was tied differently.:)

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This actually isn't that similar to the tibloc. The only reason a tibloc works is because of sharp spikes that grip the rope. Without these spikes it would not function. The HH has no sharp edges and is actually pretty rope friendly, this is the reason that the HH absolutely needs the 2 opposing forces of the hitch and the load of the climber to function. The tibloc doesn't need a hitch to function however I believe it is only designed for emergency use whereas the HH is for daily use.

Dave why don't you share your impressions so far of the device. I played a bit with an ascending system today and found a tether tied to the bottom biner works best but there is still some setback. I used an upper CMI Ropewalker attached to a shoulder strap and my bridge and just let the HH trail behind, this worked very well. Once you get to hight just set the HH and remove Ropewalker and you are ready to go...

Thinking about this today and looking at the Tibloc and how the edges are rolled wear the biner attaches. You could do the same thing while piercing the holes in the first step of forming to SST 304. Then you wouldn't have the sharp edges to wear.

I hear you on the edges. The new design we are chamfering those edges to 7 degrees to better match the contact of the biner, that and 4140 hardened and I think we will be good. After 1 day of use with the 410 stainless there was noticeable wear. I would rather people think of "Ropetek" as the co. that produces durable, functional gear not a POS that wore out after 4 months.....

You would think right? I thought the same... if only it were that simple.

PCTREE, that looks real cool, cant wait to give it a test drive. Been trying to imagine how it works in my head but can only guess.

Crazy that we have 2 cutting edge treemen/tree gear inventors in the House!!!

Wow, you are so right. I love those pics of his saddles in FGTW, as well as all that polished-looking hardware.

...Dave why don't you share your impressions so far of the device. ...

Ok, but I want you all to know that I have not had but a couple of climbs with the HH so understand what I know about it is still limited.

Obviously, it is a hitch-based system so optimum performance will be based on rope/hitch function. With SRT my preference is a positive grabbing hitch that does not lose its shape and has little setback. With a 5+1 Distel of 10mm Bee-line on Tachyon, I am getting good grip, easy breaking to advance and, get this, only two inches of setback! This same combo never worked as well on DdRT for me so the Hitch Hiker is definitely altering things in ways more than just friction sharing.

The HH with the two steel carabiners is heavy in hand but put it on the rope and you would never know it. It is solid, no flop, the heaviest parts are low down with the lightest part, the hitch, above so the weight is not felt. The way it feels on the rope in both slack-tending and smoothness/control in descent, with one hand or two, is as good as or better than most of all the other SRT tools I have used.

I am very impressed with how this tool functions but I need more time. So far I have not been satisfied with my attempts at using it in a ropewalker/frogwalker setup. An SRT workpositioning tool, must transition smoothly from arm-power to leg-power or much of the SRT advantage is lost. Succeeding with this is on my "to do" list for this weekend.

Dave

Cannt wait to hear what you come up with Dave. I should have got a picture but I looped a tether around the bottom biner and ran the end back up through the center so the pull was centered and ran said tether over my shoulder and attached it to the back of my harness. This advances the HH very smoothly but the bottom biner is almost horizontal whilst doing this so gives 2" or so setback added to the hitches setback. Strangely enough I never gave too much thought to how to set up an ascent system with the HH as I kinda figured every user would find their preferred method..

i really like it. youve obviously put a lot of thought into the design. how much length does the HH add to the climbing system? looks like the length of the biner plus a little. i too would love to test it out if you need/want more user feedback, maybe a treehouse loaner like the nikosi? congratulations on a job well done.

I'd say around $75. Definitely not more than $100. You're selling a single piece of machined metal with no moving parts. I think of micropullies selling for $18, and those carabiners with laser etched logos and all that sell for a similar price- of course they are all made and a much larger scale.

Please go with notch-free carabiners!!!

petzl_oxan_triact_lock_open.jpg

Whereas this one has that annoying notch that snags on things:

OVPOL.jpg

its not what it cost to make, its what its worth.

if something unique costs a penny to make and makes you $1m, its not worth $.01 plus $40 for profit.

looking forward to trying it!

can a neck bungee advance it fot FLing or rope walking?

Back