Rope Climbing Race

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3YvnIRMyipc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A quick race between 3 different disciplines.

Traditional secured footlocking, a hybrid 2 rope-rope walker called The Ghetto Frog 3.5 (the innovators naming), and the Ropetek Wraptor all raced to a non determined height.

The Ghetto Frog took the longest to set up but won the race without question. Footlocking came in second with the Wraptor in last.

The 1st and 2nd place competitors were both physically exhausted at the top while the Wraptor operator, stung from losing the bet to buy lunch was still happily cracking jokes and commentating the race.

There is no doubt that the Wraptor wins all of the races after the 1st!

An effortless ride compared to extreme exertion!

Cool video! I was surprised that the footlocker didn't totally waste the Wraptor.

I'd like to see what the Ghetto Frog looks like

New school techniques are cool.

But you know, climbing a big redwood in the old days could take all day long using old school techniques. and though the climbs were more difficult they were a lot more memorable. major flip line, traversing and limb hopping, figuring out routes up and down. It was really climbing the tree. Now you just zip up a rope. A lot is missed in between.

Much good can be said for new school technique, but for me the real sole fulfilling experience of climbing a big old growth tree lies in old school technique. One on one. For a young man anyway.

Today I'd take the ride.

Maybe once, but perhaps not the Wraptor twice :). The other two...would be interesting. That shot, I'm at about 100 feet. That's a looong way to footlock. Ropewalking would be a test, too. It's hard to beat straight ahead spur climbing on a clear stem for speed.

Back