Root Pruning Kit

Nick why not just use chisels. They are disposable and cheap. I can get through a good size root in a matter of minutes and not have to excavate all that extra dirt to use a saw. The only thing I dont like about the sawsall is that the reciprocation of the blade is not even and you can get some ugly cuts, whereas the chisel is typically nice and clean. However a sawsall would be significantly faster. And the blades dont cost what silky baldes cost.

metal cutting blades can make a smooth cut.
But yes, having the end of the blade slam into the dirt is a hassle, so ya gotta dig a bit.

Chisles are a pain. Not that they don't have their use, they are slow. Sometimes to get a root off, you need to make several cuts. The sawzall blade just pokes through dirt like it's not there, but it does take a steady hand when you are up against another root or the trunk.

Cordless tools are awesome. Pick a good brand and size and stick with it. Then if you need a tool, you can go on eBay an just buy just the tool, get a toolbox at walmart, and use a battery from an existing tool.
If you don't own a sawzall of some sort, you're really not a man yet.:P

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I need a kit that can be used while walking around sites with hundresds of trees (schools, neighborhoods, business centers, etc) A sawzall might work, but would not be feasible to carry. A chisel will be slowe, but easy to lug.

love
nick

I need a kit that can be used while walking around sites with hundresds of trees (schools, neighborhoods, business centers, etc) A sawzall might work, but would not be feasible to carry. A chisel will be slowe, but easy to lug.

love
nick

Nick, if you are doing an evaluation, then the basic tools for revealing defects are necessary. Such as a small hand trowel, amongst other tools such as: Clineometer, microscope or jeweler's loupe, increment borer, GPS, etc. etc. etc.

When you do evaluations, you must not alter the existing features of whatever you are examining. Should you cut a root, and their is a failure, it will come back to you.
So if you want to cut roots, then get the right tool for the job. It should include a Forester's or surveyor's vest. They have numerous pockets for all those little tools and then a good bag which you can hang off of your shoulders to carry heavier items such as a hammer to test soundness.

JUst a thought....

surveyors vest (usually has a special pocket for increment borer) for stuff and perhaps a carpenters belt for hammer, mallet, mini pulaski...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This particular kit will be for going around sites and just seeking and removing crossing or girdling roots. The organization I work for hasn't been very keen on getting great nursery stock in the past...sort of a "heck...it's free...we'll take what we can get" sort of mentality. As a result, we constantly find trees suffering or dying...often times I also find major root issues down below.

I want to be able fix the issues before they become problems. We're training volunteers to go out with me and the rest of the tree care crew to find roots like this and "fix" them!

love
nick

my consult gear, not root pruning specific is in a rubbermaid bin at home/office. depending on what I expect to encounter or what the job scope is I tailor what I carry to the field. Normally i take tree # tags, aluminum nails, rubber mallet, mini pulaski, 30X lighted magnifier, binoculars, rite inthe rain notebook and pen, DBH tape, digi camera and tool belt to hold the stuff. Other stuff I have if needed: GPS, Silky root pruning saw, pick axe, caliper guage, pressure nozzle for garden hose, digital sonic distance meter thingie, long drill bit for drilling and looking at sawdust, set of four little scratching tools (suggested by Bob Wulkowicz a few years ago), bright pink "HAZARD TREE REMOVE" tape and a roll of yellow "CAUTION" tape, compass (for the clinometer thingie built in) and uhm a can of red log marking spraypaint. :D
Wish list: Increment borer, clinometer

back at the office a number of good books and.... a link to the Treehouse for advice! :D

Nick, carrying a cordless sawzall is surely a great way to quickly cut those roots. It is not too heavy, and gets the job done efficiently

What's wrong with the battery powered sawzall?

:?

Nick: I need a kit that can be used while walking around sites with hundresds of trees (schools, neighborhoods, business centers, etc) A sawzall might work, but would not be feasible to carry. A chisel will be slowe, but easy to lug.

Back