Rocky's bucket truck for sale

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK, I'm not liking the routes suggested by Mapquest or Google. I'm sorry but Kansas is the most godawful boring state I've ever seen. So I picked out an alternate route and maybe somebody here might be familiar with these roads and tell me if I'm making a mistake.

From N Florida I can take 231 to Montgomery, AL and then take 82 past Lumberjack Carl's house (maybe I can wave as I drive by) to Wichita Falls, 287 to Amarillo, 87 up to Raton and I-25 north to Colorado Springs.

Without knowing that part of the country, it sure looks a bit simpler than going north all the way to Kansas City and then across 435 miles of corn fields only to turn back south to Justin's place.

And my issue with flying has more to do with the 'security measures' rather than the actual flight. I dislike subjecting myself to the whims of some underpaid grunt with an attitude who has the power to ruin my day or confiscate my personal belongings on a whim.

Good deal, Brian how about taking the train, it will take a little longer but you might get to see some great scenery.
my .02

skwerl maybe just take i-10 to houston then go up to colorado that way you can avoid the toll rds thru oklahoma and avoid the rd to albuque nm cause the grades there are murder on big trucks with hair pin turns sorry about the spelling

Brian, 287/87/I-25 is okay-You'll have one mountain Pass which isn't a bad one (slowest curve is 55mph)but if you want to skip it /think it will be a pain in the truck you can take 287/385 north to US 50 and 50 all the way to Canon City-that will add about 20 miles. The Interstate is totally screwed up in Trinidad so skipping Raton Pass and Trini might be worth the 20miles.

82 passes 6.3 miles (through the woods) from my digs.

Red is the way I'd go if I was in my chip truck or other vehicles. Green is smoother and perhaps what some would call more scenic.

Housefrom82.jpg

Sounds great, Carl. I might even see if I can borrow a corner of your couch for the night. Wichita Falls, TX will be a good target for the second day and then take it on home to Canon City the third day.
:)

Is there any licensing that has to be taken care of to move a truck like that through the various states?

Not any more, Steve. Years ago big trucks had to buy a registration for every state they travelled in. These days the states all recognize each other's registration tags.

Besides, my truck isn't hauling stuff for hire and it's under 26000 lbs (barely). DOT doesn't look twice at me.

Hey John, if you meet me along the way I'll buy lunch. :P

You can sleep on either couch, or, if you feel like it, the double sized bed in the guest bedroom is your's for the taking.

With a top speed of 60mph, I think it would also be wise to stay in the rightmost lane.

Like this?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y91QUOmzmPo&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y91QUOmzmPo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If it would have been downhill a little bit further I could have caught that lowboy with the two tractors on it.:D

Thanks for all the driving tips, guys. I wouldn't have known otherwise. :|:

And the truck stops a lot quicker than it goes, I'm not worried about extra following distance. I keep the brakes properly adjusted and I can practically lock up all six tires if need be. I'm more worried about practical stuff like heat and wear on the transmission running full speed for three days straight. And those all terrain tires getting hot and blowing out halfway across Texas with no repair service within a hundred miles. I am going to get the oil changed and all the fluid levels checked before leaving. I'm also going to buy a spare tire and I'll bring along several gallons of water. But my biggest concern is somebody driving into the back of me because I'm driving too slow, or people cutting too closely in front of me and slamming on the brakes because they NEED to get in front of me to make that next right turn 50' away.

Back