Retractable lanyard setup

Your always friggen right... :/:

I have some vid of it in action too... but cant upload the vid until I get rid of current vid clogging up computer. My hoarding is getting out of hand.

So I'm just not a huge fan of my sidewinder. Maybe it's the 10mm op, or the fact that I clip into the lower dees of my treemotion. Anyway, I'm offering it up for anyone who wants it. Includes the sidewinder, some zip ties, and 10-12 feet of 10mm ocean polyester with a tight eye splice on one end.

So I'm just not a huge fan of my sidewinder. Maybe it's the 10mm op, or the fact that I clip into the lower dees of my treemotion. Anyway, I'm offering it up for anyone who wants it. Includes the sidewinder, some zip ties, and 10-12 feet of 10mm ocean polyester with a tight eye splice on one end.

I'll take it off you if your willing to ship it to England,
Pm me and let me know how much :)

Hello friends,

I probably should have started a new topic for this question. Forgive me for interrupting.

I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to provide a suggestion for a general-use flip line length. I have a Bernank flip line that measures 6 feet in length. It just seems too short for most of what I'll be using it for, but maybe I'm wrong.

Many of you here probably own several flip lines in various lengths, and I'm sure that many of you also have ONE that you reach for most often. I'm looking for some input on this subject. Any suggestions, including a reason for your suggestion, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joel C

14-18 foot is my preference... But a lot of that has to do with my climbing style and what I climb. Species, size etc.
Often, my flip line doubles as a short climb line for positioning, double crotching.

Hi Joel,

No worry on going off topic, that's pretty much SOP around here.

I'd say that a 10-12' foot flip line is a pretty common length. It'll depend on the size of trees you're tackling, the type of lanyard you're using, whether you're pruning or doing removals, climbing style,etc. Are you using a steel core flipline? What kind of adjuster are you using? Six feet is definitely on the short side.

I usually use a 15' length of 10mm beeline for my lanyard these days. It stays stuffed away in a small pouch when not in use.

Rumination,

Thank you very much for the input.

My current flip line came with a bunch of other gear I purchased. It's non-steel core, 9/16", and it came with a Petzl Micrograb that doesn't fit over this heavy line. I was considering possibly purchasing a Petzl Macrograb to fit my current flip line, but now I'm thinking I may just scale down to something in 1/2" so that I can make use of that handy little micrograb.

I was thinking that 6 feet seemed a bit short for most anything I'd be using it for. And I guess I never really thought about using anything under 1/2" for a flip line.....interesting.

I appreciate the feedback a whole lot.

Joel

I use 1/2 non cable for prunes and 5/8ths cable for TDs... I have a Petzl Macro on the 5/8s.. works a charm. The grabs are good for pitchy wood. I use a prussic on my 1/2 for prunes.

Thanks again for so many informative posts and in such a timely fashion.

I'm relatively new to the climbing world, so you'll have to forgive me for being so clueless on certain subject matters.

Using the flip line as a short climbing line is very interesting to me. I've never seen it done, so I'd have no idea how to begin rigging for something like this. Needless to say, I won't be trying it at altitude. LOL. I do enjoy trying out new things, but never more than a few feet off the ground.

I'm thinking that maybe a 1/2" flip line of about 15 feet in length would work well for what I'll be doing most often. Being that I'll be using a chainsaw while doing take-downs, a steel core line would be a wise choice. Just not sure if I can find a steel core line that will work well with my Petzl micrograb.

Maybe a heavier flip line would be a better choice? 95% of my work will be total take-downs.

Joel

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. Much appreciated. 1/2" steel core flipline in 15' length (less adjuster) is on its way. I'll put my new Micrograb (lock nut included) on it when it gets here.

Joel

Pics or it didn't happen...

Last saturday I bombed a big limb on a beautiful healthy old blue oak.

Here's the setup on the left side of the Ergovation with the green cinch. I've had two other cinches (lost both), but they were purple. This one is green... and it's good to have back. I cut the black zipties to fit perfectly on my saddle, it hasn't come off since I got it from Paul. I have leaned back hard pushing against trees, almost trying to break it, and still NO cracks or damage... and it's still works great... it sure seems tough.

I could cut off more to really clean it up but I like the length for now. The Sidewinder is a time saver for sure... and effort... I can neatly pack away several feet of cord with one hand in seconds. This thing is cool!!!

Yeah I tampered with them... it was a PITA, I had to resize them, save, upload, etc... actually, took those off the goPro... turned out pretty good. I got a bunch of vid, but haven't watched it yet. Another day of tree work good to be alive.

Thanks for the great advice, everyone. Much appreciated. 1/2" steel core flipline in 15' length (less adjuster) is on its way. I'll put my new Micrograb (lock nut included) on it when it gets here.

Joel
Have fun with new lanyard, but I would seriously reconsider using it as a second climbing line, steel core reacts differently with the micro/macrograbs than regular rope.
Regular rope will grab 100% every time, but the steel core seems to have enough stiffness to it that they can open the gate on the grabs, even just unweighting for a second can allow the SC to sort of open the grab and allow the core to slip thru. Its very disconcerting when your up 50 ft and this happens. Not a fun feeling, at all.
Long story short, you really dont want to use steel core for climbing line, its just felt unsafe, anytime I have been 'forced' to try to use it this way.
I have a 15ft yale on micro, and Ive tried to use it single line style but it is just not suited to the task, a regular rope, will work 100% better. The way the micro/macro(or pretty much any 'ropegrab') works in combination with the steel cores(both 1/2" and 5/8") is just not right, works perfect in the lanyard adjuster position, I have three of them, and I trust them implicitly when they are used as meant to be used.
Steel cores were never meant to be used as a second short climbing line, take it from someone who has already tried it.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Feb2fco8SyY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back