Resizing Pictures

top_notch

Treehouser
I just got a new camera and the photos are about 6mb which is too big to up load to the site. My old camera didn't have this problem. How do you guys handle this? I haven't found any software on my computer to fix the size yet, and it seems like a pita to do for every picture.

I have a good photo editor, but it isn't free. I also have Picasa, which may be capable of resizing, as is Irfanview. Both are free-- easy to do many basic editing tasks, like color and exposure correction, cropping, rotating, etc etc.....

On my last computer, it ran Windows XP and I used the XP Power Toys image resizer. This computer runs Vista and the XP Power Toys program wasn't available, so I installed the VSO image resizer. It works easily, accessible with a right click on a file or batches of files. Looks like it's been bought out by another company but here's the link.
http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-software/light-image-resizer/?from=virsetup

Here's a 30 second video showing how it works.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/siQzcF9h9TY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Depending on the system,for example on Windows XP open the photo in MS photo editer with a right click .Once there under the drop down menus from the top under "image " choose resize .Using the up or down function on the new screen under size or percent I take them down to 640 by 480 .Once done select "file " from the drop down menu and click save as .It will ask you to over write ,click yes .All done .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have Windows 7 home version. Figured it out. Ended up just using Windows Live Photo Gallery. Thanks for everyone's help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think my pics were too big. It just had an exclamation point next to them on the up loader...wouldn't let them up load.

I had that happen with some pics someone else forwarded to me that I wanted to post here...their camera took pics with huge file sizes.

Back