Replaceable cutters on saw chain (Chain-Sert)

Why wouldn't stump grinder teeth just use the toughest hard rock drill carbide then?
Isn't there a trade off between carbide hardness and brittleness?

Well I always believed the stump grinder tooth companies want to sell more product :D
But no I understand the carbide on these teeth can't be too hard or they will shatter.

I tried "carbide impregnated" saw chain once upon a time for cutting stumps alap, but was disappointed.
Supposedly sharpenable with regular round file, but that sucked, (file killers) as well as the cutting performance.

I reckon the saw chain carbide (Chain-Sert) won't be able to be all that hard either or hitting rocks, steel, etc. is gonna result in them flying off to greener pastures.

I believe that diamond wheels would be preferable for carbide over the green abrasive, possibly except for cost. Diamond wheels don't change their profile by wear, the way the green does. Truing up with the softer wheel isn't a big deal, but exactitude is lost. I think that is a very positive element of Rob's creation, precision. The diamond dust or whatever it is, is just a coating. If there is much wear, the wheel is shot.

A diamond file would be handy to touch up the teeth on the saw.
Do diamond files even exist? Sherrill marketing opportunity lurks. Probably kinda spendy, but cheaper than a wheel?

Yes, they are around, and small little round diamond abrasives that go on the portable grinders, like the Granberg.

I believe that diamond wheels would be preferable for carbide over the green abrasive, possibly except for cost. Diamond wheels don't change their profile by wear, the way the green does. Truing up with the softer wheel isn't a big deal, but exactitude is lost. I think that is a very positive element of Rob's creation, precision. The diamond dust or whatever it is, is just a coating. If there is much wear, the wheel is shot.

"Diamond" wheels are available with an inexpensive "core" with whatever thickness of diamond abrasive you want. But alas, the cost can be hundreds and even thousands of dollars. But they sure do a great job grinding carbide. :D

http://www.nortonindustrial.com/DiamondcBN-CNCwheels.aspx

No matter the thickness of the diamond coating, am I correct in saying that the wheels don't really change their profiles via wear, in the normal sense that we think of regular softer abrasives? A changing profile I think would be detrimental for most tooling that diamond abrasives are intended for.

They actually do change/wear the same way a traditional grinding wheel does. It's all based on the bond structure of the wheel.
You are absolutely correct that a changing profile will be detrimental to whatever you're grinding. You will, over time, have to re-true
the wheel because of wear and tear. How often depends on the strength of the bond in the wheel. My company sent me to a Norton
grinding seminar last month. The science behind grinding is really very interesting. :D

Thanks, Randy, i wasn't aware that diamond could be trued up. I wonder if my diamond wheel that i purchased from Bailey's a long time ago can be? My impression is that the diamond particulate is quite thin. It definitely doesn't wear as fast as the other regular abrasive wheels for the same grinder. How do you true diamond, i mean what is harder than that?

Yes, they are around, and small little round diamond abrasives that go on the portable grinders, like the Granberg.

I've seen the little ones that will fit in a Dremel type setup, but have never seen an actual file available. A 7/32 file designed to touch up carbide saw chain?
Cutter's Direct and Stihl both offer carbide chain with brazen or silver soldered carbide inserts. (Even for a 200T, which doesn't make any sense to me). I see the replaceable cutter chain being far more desirable for demolition / rescue saws. Lotsa chainsaw users can't file for beans, though they are very good at dulling saws, so maybe the pro user is the wrong target audience. Except that the Average Poulan Wild Thing collector won't want to spend the $$$ for that chain.

Thanks, Randy, i wasn't aware that diamond could be trued up. I wonder if my diamond wheel that i purchased from Bailey's a long time ago can be? My impression is that the diamond particulate is quite thin. It definitely doesn't wear as fast as the other regular abrasive wheels for the same grinder. How do you true diamond, i mean what is harder than that?

I haven't seen the wheel from Baileys(yet), I'm guessing(without looking)that you're right and all you have is a thin diamond coating.
You can re-true diamond wheels but you need a diamond dressing tool, diamond is the hardest material out there. Getting a hold of a
tool like that isn't something the "average user" is able to do.....I'm using them every day at work, but that is an "entirely different market".

For those of you who requested samples of chain-serts you should be getting them this week if you haven't already received them. When you get a chance to check them out, feel free to comment.

Back